Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore refrigerator/freezer (freezer on the bottom)

model #596.72222200. The freezer...
I have a Kenmore refrigerator/freezer (freezer on the bottom) model #596.72222200. The freezer stays nice and cold but the refrigerator is warm. A week or so ago this problem occurred for the first time and I cleared it up by pulling off the cover in the back of the freezer compartment where I discovered the coil pretty much frozen solid (I chaulked it up to the door being left open) so I thawed the coil and restored it to proper function. It has happened again just tonight; the seal is intact and clean, there is no frost build-up on the contents in the freezer, and the ice-maker works like a charm. I am sure you know just what my problem is . . .
7/1/2009
John, Home Appliance Technician
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
You said that the freezer coils were iced up before, now the problem is no frost on the freezer coils and not cold,I want you to check the back of the fridge where the compressor is located and if dirty it could cause the problem
The problem is the same as the first occurrence - the coil is iced up. I tried to differentiate the contents of the freezer from the coil as I thought if the door seal was bad the "contents" of the freezer would be frosty due to air leakage and that might also cause the coil to freeze. The fan that circulates cold air to the refrigerator is running, the coil is iced up, and no cold air is coming into the refrigerator compartment
I apologize for opening this up so late. I'll pick the thread up Wednesday morning at work. I will try to check regularly starting at 0700.

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=a4c221i1170024&PartID=1170024

take the freezer wall off again, this time check this part, its the defrost thermostat, it can cause the problem, Also check the defrost heater,The defrost timer is located in the control panel where the thermostat is located , Did you find those parts

I looked up the part schematic at Sears and located the components in question on the diagrams. Is there a procedure for checking the defrost thermostat, heater, and timer? Looks like Thursday morning before I get to it . . .
You found the timer location ? If you did you can use a screwdriver to advance the timer to the defrost cycle, Theres a small cog on the timer, turn it till the fridge turns off, then see if the heater comes on, if it does replace the timer, if not it could be the defrost thermostat, You can test that with a meter , if no meter check the element visually, if its ok replace the defrost thermostat
I found the timer and on this model you do not have to remove anything as a access hole is provided for a screwdriver. I manually advanced the timer until the compressor turned off. The compressor came back on about a half-an-hour later. Am I looking at the defrost heater or thermostat now? We'll see tomorrow (Thursday) morning.

I do not not know where to look for the thermostat (PN# XXXXX) or how to go about replacing the heater (PN# XXXXX) if that is bad. These part numbers were obtained from: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?diagramPageId=00006&documentId=M0209143&modelNumber=59672222200&productCategoryId=0161000&brandId=0582&modelName=&backToLink=Return+to+part+list

Hope this aids you in assisting me with my efforts!

http://www.repairclinic.com/Refrigerator-Freezer-On-Bottom-Appliance-Diagram

Great the timer is ok, if the defrost heater did not come on, then look at the defrost thermostat, point to the freezer coil you will find the location of the defrost thermostat.

Replace the defrost thermostat

John, Home Appliance Technician
Defrost thermostat is ordered and on the way - it was not available any place locally so I ordered it on line. Thanks for your assistance. Is there a way to get a hold of you so that I can refresh the status after I replace the part? Thanks!
Thanks You can get back to me anytime, Just log back in here I will be here in case you need more help
John, Home Appliance Technician