Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an out of warranty Kenmore gas range (modelNNN-NN-NNNN

Customer Question
that I need to replace...
I have an out of warranty Kenmore gas range (modelNNN-NN-NNNN that I need to replace the ignitor electrode on the front right burner. I am looking for instructions or a manual that will show me how to do this. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/1/2009
Appliance Technician: Robert, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician

The model number is XXXXX pulling up. Could you double check it for me? Also, do you need the electrode or do you already have it?

I already have the electrode (received from Sears yesterday). The model number is XXXXX (perhaps a Canadian model #?).

Okay. Let me try a different place.

Are your burners sealed?

I don't think so. There are three hex nuts that hold the burner base to somewhere under the range top. Looks like there is a small gap bewteen therange top and burner base.
I cannot pull the unit up online but on all the units I have worked on you have to remove the hex head screws from the burner you want to work on and lift it out slowly. The electrode will come with it. Once removed, you can detach the wire and install the new electrode. If the gasket under the burner rips in any way, you do not have to replace it. Just clean it off completely and put it down without the seal. This is the factory recommended repair on Whirlpool and GE products.
Do I have to remove the small set screw located beside the ignitor?

You have to in order to remove the ignitor. Make sure when you install the new one that it is close enough to spark but not to close. About an 1/8 of an inch is great.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try that.

No problem.

I have removed the 3 hex nuts, but I have to lift the range top in order to access the burner base. How do I do that? Are there any screws in the back I have to remove in order to lift the top?
There should not be any screws on the top itself. At least there are not on the american built models. I definitely would not pry on it hard. If there are any screws they will be in the front of the top under the lip.
Just checking to see if you got it done.
Not yet. Haven't been home long enough this weekend to tackle this. If I run into any further complications, I will let you know.

Okay. Have a good night!

Robert
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician