Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I HAVE A SEAR FREE STANDING ICE MAKER. I HAVE CLEANED THE COILS

Customer Question

I HAVE A SEAR FREE STANDING ICE MAKER. I HAVE CLEANED THE COILS AND THE INTERNAL PARTS, BUT ICE PRODUCTION IS STLL LOW. ANY SUGGESTIONS

SAM STEVENS
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
How old is this unit?   And are the cubes normal size still?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The unit is 10 years old. The cubes are the correct size.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
you'll have to look at the chill plate where the ice is formed. If the ice looks like it's covering the plate evenly but it's just taking a long time to harvest then you have a sealed system issue which isn't something your going to be able to fix on your own. Sealed system issues can either be an inefficient compressor, a leak in the freon system or possibly a restriction.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
WOULD CLEANING BE A PROBLEM.IF SO WHAT DO YOU CLEAN THE PLATE WITH?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
you need a special icemaker nicklesafe cleaner that you would have to contact the manufacturer to order. Cleaning would only be a problem if the chill plate gathers way to much ice preventing the ice from sliding off the chill plate onto the cutting grid.