Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

I have a side by side Frigidaire FRS26WNCW that is 12 years

I have a side by side Frigidaire FRS26WNCW that is 12 years old. Last night I heard a crackling sound coming from the freezer. When I opened the freezer I saw some red hot coils in the lower back of the freezer and the noise was from the ice touching the coils. I cleared everything out of the freezer and put it in my garage freezer. After a few minutes, the coils were no longer red hot.   Why is this? What can I do?
you need to do nothing ,,,, this is normal and happens twice a day ,, every 12 hours ,,,, that is the defrost cycle and the heater will get very hot to melt off the frost from the coils and then cycle off and the frost starts again ,,,, thats how you get the cooling ,,, thanks and have a great day