Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a frigidaire model #PLHS68EESB5 refrigerator that the

Customer Question
ice dispenser selection is stuck...
I have a frigidaire model #PLHS68EESB5 refrigerator that the ice dispenser selection is stuck in crushed ice. I can't get it to switch to cubes.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/17/2009
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
the most common cause for this problem is the dispenser control board on these refrigerators, Dispenser control board.part#NNN-NN-NNNN$88.44 - Click Image to Closethis needs to be replaced. the cheapest place by far that I've found is @ http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=77 its $98.00. hope this helps, thanks,Bryan
Where is the dispenser control board and how do I access it?
ok let me put up the diagrams for you , the dispenser board is part# XXXXX on this diagram you need to take the screws out # XXXXX to get at it its right where your water comes out just above behind the panel, hope this helps.thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
<p>I purchased and replaced the dispencer control board as you suggested and still have the problem. I used a personal ground strap in making the switch. Any other suggestions?</p><p>Gary</p>
<p>I purchased and replaced the dispenser control board, using a personal ground strap, and still have the problem, next step?</p><p> </p><p>Gary</p>
sorry been offline, well you need to check the rod that runs under the auger bin. it rund all the way to the back and goes into a hole with a soliniod that moves it up in down to the cubed position, the rod is # XXXXX and the soliniod is # XXXXX on this diagram. make sure the rod is not bent and the soliniod is not frozen ,move it up and down with your finger, also take the ice bin out and hold the light switch in and set the control on cubed then press the button and see if the soliniod clacks up thats what changes the auger from crushed to cubed, let me know thanks , Bryan
The solenoid change did not work either. I have now spent $150 on parts that did not solve the problem. Seems a diagnostic approach is much more practical than a "change parts" and see if that works approach.

Gary
well, I'm sorry that you still have a problem. I'll opt out and maybe someone else will know, I was waiting on you reply as to whether the soleniod was working but you never let me know, someone else may have a better idea, thanks Bryan
Appliance Technician: Barry G., Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician

Hello Gary,

Do you have a volt meter?

Thanks

Yes, I have a volt meter. I appreciate your taking this approach, it is what should have been done when I first submitted ny question.

However, I have had so much trouble in the 5 years I've owned this refrig that I have decided the next $ I spend on refrigerators will be to replace this with a different brand.

Gary

First sir could you please do this.

1) Pull out your icebin.

2)With your freezer door open you will be observing the solenoid

that actuates your ice crusher.

3) Hold your door switch closed or tape it closed and press the ice

dispenser just like you were holding a cup to get ice.

Does the solenoid move? If not then switch to the other option.

for example if you have it set to crushed then move it to cubes.

4)Press the cup holder again....

Does the soleniod move?

Thanks

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician