Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My icemaker on the door makes ice and dispenses, but will not

My icemaker on the door makes ice and dispenses, but will not dispense water. I tried 2 new filters to no avail.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
can you get me make and model # ?. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
General Electric Model # XXXXX BS
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok the first thing you need to check is the water chiller, its part # XXXXX on the diagram its behind the crisper drawers inside the fresh food section, take a hair dryer and heat this up and see if the water starts flowing, sometimes the freeze up. let me know thanks Bryan,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What I found is something different. It is white plastic and is shaped like a snake going back and forth in u's.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
that it ! they changed them recently. try defrosting it and let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did, but nothing happens. It is hard to see, but it looks as if there isn't any water in there.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok that tells me that its either the water valve(even though your ice maker works its a dual valve) or your control board is bad.do you hear a clicking noise in the back of refrigerator when you push the water? let me know, I'll be back shortly, dinner time. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There is no noise at all.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
I think you have a bad control board.Main Control Board - Click Image to Closeunfortunatly this needs to be replaced the cheapest i've found it is @ http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=8 just click the blue link. we replace allot of these for this reason. but before you do , if you have a volt meter and know how to use it check for power to the valve when you push for water, if you dont get 120 volts to the valve then the board is bad. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't have a volt meter. Is there any other way to check the board or valve?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
not really, well maybe if you could make a test plug for it, do you have an old lamp cord and two 1/4" female spade connectors?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, I do not.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
boy without a volt meter or a test cord i dont know of any other way to test the valve.since this is an expensive part I would call a service tech to test it, I'm sorry but theres no other way, if you can get the parts to make a test cord(Lowes has them) then I can tell you what to do. let me know, thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That does not help me. It sounds as if I have to call a repairman like I did in the beginning.