Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

I have a Sub Zero refregerator Model # XXXXX that is functioning

I have a Sub Zero refregerator Model # XXXXX that is functioning very well except for the past month or so I hear a ratling noice every tidme I close the door. The noice lasts for about 10-15 seconds. Can you please give me an idea what causes this noice and what do I need to do to fix it.
Thank you in advance for your asssistance.
NathanCustomer
E-mail:[email protected]
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 8 years ago.
first take everything out of the door shelfs one at time and close it and see if the noise is still there starting at the top one
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Larry,

I have already emptied out not only the door but the entire refrigerator as well.

Even so the noice continues. At times I do not hear the noice if I close the door very slowly but again that's only half of the times.

Hope this helps you.

does it sound like its coming from inside or on top
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Larry,

It sounds that the noice comes from the bottom part of the refrigerator which in this model houses the motor. By the way, I do clean the compressor area regularly.

take the bottom cover off and shake the fridge and see if the noise isnt coming from the fan or the coils ,,,, sound like the fridge needs the front rollers or legs run down a little to tighen the box to take the shake out so the coils wont vribrate
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Larry,

I removed to bottom covers, shook the coil and the copper tube that provides water to the ice maker. From all indications and after opening and closing the door for about a dozen times I did not hear any rattling noise. So, the good news is no noise but I cannot tell you specifically what exactly did it so that both of us we know why. It really does not matter to me as long as the noise is gone for good. In any event, thanks for you patience and help.

Regards,

you are most welcome and have a good day
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Larry,

Even though the noise stoped for a but it started again. Any other suggestions? Also, no matter what the outcome my $24 deposit is for you. In fact, I believe I clicked the proper box. In eny event, please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

the noise will be coming from the front cover, fan blade or the coils ,,, pull the fridge out a few inches and if it stops then its your water line againt the back vibrating
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Larry,

I'll give your suggestions a try and see what happens. For sure it is not the front cover or the fan blade so I'll work with the water line.

ok ,,, if you need need me i'll be here
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Larry,

It appears that neither the coils nor the water line are generating the noise which continue the same.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Many thanks.

if you push on the fridge to one side will it gte quite
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Larry,

I did pus the refrigerator to one side but the noise continues as before. Maybe it's time to call a repareman in the area to at least listen to the noise and see what he has to say.

Can you recomend someone in this area around the San Jose California area that is familiar with the Sub Zero refrigerators?

no not really but it would not have to be someone that works on subs, just someone thats know a fridge ,,, if i was there i'm sure i could find it ,,,,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks Larry, I'll keep pushing the refrigerator in different directions while I'm looking for a technician in the area

sorry to not be more help