Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My GE Profile refrigerator stops working. The freezers goes

My GE Profile refrigerator stops...
My GE Profile refrigerator stops working. The freezers goes down to -7 and the refrigerator warms up to 65, with no cool air being blown into the refrigerator. If I unplug it for a day and then plug it in, the freezer and refrigerator work perfectly and I can feel the cool air being blown into the refrigerator. After a few days, the freezer temp drops and the refrigerator gets warm. We have already cleaned the coils. Help!
6/1/2009
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Which coils the ones on the outside or inside?
The coils in the lower back of the refrigerator when we removed the lower access panel. They were dusty. It was off for a day and we plugged it in. Three days later, it stopped. The coils are still clean. We unplugged it for a day, and then when we plugged it in, it started up again. I am hoping that it will still be working when I get home from work!Smile

I see. That sounds like the board. Or a defrost heater. Post the model I can get a look

at the drawing for that model....When you get home if its not working pull the lower

panel off the inside rear of the freezer and see if the coils are frozen over or if they

are just white.

If its the board whats happening is its resetting when you unplug it but its not staying

in either case you will need to eliminate the defrost heater. If you put the model on

I will get you a drawing and part numbers if you need them.

GE Profile Refrigerator with bottom frezzer drawer.
Model # = PDS22SCRARSS

I need to reduce the size of the image....give me a few and I will have the drawing on here. I would check the heater first. More than likely this will be the problem.

This is your control board

http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=8

This is your heater.

http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=112

Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
graphic

You need to remove that cover,,,#732. What your looking for is enough ice on the coils

to restrict the airflow. If there is you will need to check the heater #826 and the temprature sensor #621. You can ohm the heater with a meter,,,occasinally you

can see that its blown without one. And the same with the temprature sensor. It will have to be very cold. Same thing It should ohm around zero and occasionally you can

see its bad.

Thanks for all your help! I hope that my handy man, aka hubby, can fix it! Unfortunately, we built cabinits around it and we are having a hard time finding a replacement that is the same size. All the new refrigerators seem to be an inch taller and wider! Thanks again!

I have access to GE dimensions if you want to check on a GE. At least I think I do.

Let me know if I can help.

Take care.

Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician