Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

We have a KitchenAid refrigerator, model KTRS25KAWH00, ser#

We have a KitchenAid refrigerator, model KTRS25KAWH00, ser# XXXXX that was made in Sept of 1993. The freezer (top) is at -10F and the refrigerator (bottom) is at 60F. The compressor is running constantly. We have a parts diagram and list, but do not have a wiring diagram.
Could our problem be something as simple as a defrost timer or is 16 years the life of this unit?

Thanks,

Joe      [email protected]
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 8 years ago.
inside the freezer on the back wall do you see any frost and is the fan blowing inside the freezer
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Larry,
I cannot tell if the evaporator is frozen up. I would have to empty the freezer and remove a panel.
The fan in the freezer is blowing.
we need to verify if the coil is frosted over heavy or very little / thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will check. It may take a few hours to get back to you.
i'll be here all day / thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Larry,
There is frost on the freezer compartment rear panel. The frost is heavier at the bottom of the panel. I removed the screws, but the panel did not want to come out. It was stuck at the bottom. I could pull the top of the panel back, so I used a mirror to view the coil behind the panel. The coil had a considerable amount of white frost on it. The coil was not solid ice, at least not at the top of the coil. I do not know if this is heavy or light frost. I suspect that ice or heavy frost was preventing the removal of the rear panel (at least without damage).
Does this help? Customer
yes it does help and thank you ,,, the ice and frost is the reason the temp is so warm in the fridge part ,,, the fan cant force the air into it .... you will need to defrost out the freezer, remove the back panel and it will come out once its defrosted and replace the defrost heat and defrost bi-metal ,,,, and here is a link to the parts and a picture to help out ,,, they are #33 and #35 in the picture / thanks Larry

http://www.searspartsdire ct.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?diagramPageId=00005&componentDescription=UNIT&documentId=O2022243&modelNumber=KTRS25KAWH00&productCategoryId=0166000&brandId=0593&modelName=REFRIGERATOR&backToLink=Return+to+Sub+Components+list&searchTerm=defrost
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Larry,
Thank you very much! Your answers are most helpful. Should I be concerned about the defrost timer?
Thanks again, Customer
no ,, the timer is working so dont worry about it / thanks and if you need me i am about always here