Frigidaire icemaker not ejecting ice. My side-mounted icemaker…

Customer Question
Frigidaire icemaker not ejecting ice. My...
Frigidaire icemaker not ejecting ice.

My side-mounted icemaker for my 2-year-old Frigidaire side-by-side model stopped ejecting icecubes after I placed the wire-signal-arm back to the ON position. It has been in the OFF position for several weeks due to my going on holiday.

The only way I can get the icemaker to eject ice is... Read full answer
Frigidaire icemaker not ejecting ice.

The only way I can get the icemaker to eject ice is to toggle the signal-arm up an inch till I hear a "click" noise and place it back to the fully-on position. It will eject a set of icecubes but will not continue the cycle unless I toggle the signal-arm again.

I just replaced the water-filter today in the hopes it would resolve the problem but it did not.

Please advise.

Eddie
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/1/2009
Appliance Technician: Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician replied 10 years ago
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Hello Eddie
This means that the timer motor in the ice maker is bad unfortunately the only way to fix this issue is to replace the ice maker.i would double check the arm if its all the way in the ice maker you will need to replace the ice maker assembly.
Is the icemaker that easily broken simply by turning the icemaker off? The manual even states to turn it off for extended periods of non-use. Is it possible the timer is somehow frozen?

I shut off power to the referigerator and left the freezer-door open for three hours so anything frozen/clogged would cleared. It seems like it did not help either.

It has been working fine without any issues right up to the point I turned it off.
Is the arm all the way inside the ice maker?
For what it's worth, I firmly toggled the arm up and down and firmly pushed the arm into the hole. It did not move inside at all which would kinda tell me it's not loose.
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech replied 10 years ago
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
the shut off spring inside the icemaker is broken and its cheaper to replace the icemaker than to rebuild it ,,, the part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand here is a couple links to one / thanks

http://www.repairclinic.com/Appliance-Parts?searchText=5303918277

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=260419599868

but you may still accept for appliance medic if you wish / thanks Larry
Yes you will need to replace the ice maker.
Larry - Sorry for my late reply.

While I appreciate your advice, I was somewhat underwhelmed by the assistance given. I already knew my icemaker was broken. That was a given. What I was hoping for was advice to actually trouble-shoot and possibly fix the unit since it is only two years old. I already realized the a new unit was available from the manufacturer but I figured if it was something that could be fixed in an hour of my time, I would prefer that route than the hassle of ordering a new unit and waiting for the delivery. It's nothing personal, but I did not necessarily need someone to tell me that "it's broken, replace with new one" after less than a 2-minute discussion. I could have done that.

I will keep the account open should future assistance be required. I really do like the concept of this website and will recommend it to other people!
you can order the spring that fits inside on the arm and replace it and it will work ,, its a little tickey and most people dont want to do it and thats why we said replace the icemaker ... the part number for the shut off spring is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand it cost $5.74 online at www3.sears.com and here is a breakdown of the icemaker and the spring is #2 in the picture / thanks Larry
graphic
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have an Amana refrigerator about 15-16 years old. The ice
I have an Amana refrigerator about 15-16 years old. The ice maker stopped working. I checked the water solenoid/switch in back, it was good. I manually added water to the ice tray. After it froze, the… read more
Chas
Chas
Master Appliance Repair Technician,
My Frigidaire side-by-side model FRS26LH5DSP, icemaker model
My Frigidaire side-by-side model FRS26LH5DSP, icemaker model GSI-26, purchased in 2005, has started making too much ice and when dispensing "cubed" ice, the ice falls rapidly and many cubes fall out i… read more
Jason
Jason
Mentor Service Technician,
my icemaker drips water into the ice bin causing it to freeze
my icemaker drips water into the ice bin causing it to freeze up. also, ice is thicker on one side and sometimes jams the ice eject mechanism.… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
I have GE profile refer p/n PSDS5YGXCFSS. The ice maker is
I have GE profile refer p/n PSDS5YGXCFSS. The ice maker is stuck. It's trying to empty the ice try, but not succeeding. This has happened once before. I overcame it by power cycling the entire refer. … read more
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry
Home Appliance tech,
I have a Whirlpool Gold refrigerator. I lost power to the house
I have a Whirlpool Gold refrigerator. I lost power to the house and the icemaker has never turned back on. I tried to turn off button and then turn back on but nothing happens. What can I do?… read more
repairman4734
repairman4734
Technician,
Gentlemen, We own a Samsung refrigerator Model RF217ACRS
Gentlemen, We own a Samsung refrigerator Model RF217ACRS that is 1 1/2 years old. Several weeks ago my wife turned turned off the icemaker because it was making too many icecubes. I'm not sure if ther… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
How do I get my Kenmore icemaker to operate continuously with
How do I get my Kenmore icemaker to operate continuously with always having to push the arm back down after a set of ice cubes are ejected? Thanks… read more
Barry G.
Barry G.
I have a Frigidaire side by side model PLHS269ZCB4 quit making
I have a Frigidaire side by side model PLHS269ZCB4 quit making ice. Water does not appear to be flowing into the the ice make tray. There is water in the line. What needs to be replace or where should… read more
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry
Home Appliance tech,
Hello, I have a Frigidaire side by side model #FRS26TS7DB2.
Hello, I have a Frigidaire side by side model #FRS26TS7DB2. The ice maker began to make a popping noise as if the motor to eject the icecubes was weak. I ordered a replacement and now it practically d… read more
MRANSWER
MRANSWER
TECHNICIAN,
Water to fridge, but no water to ice-maker on Kirkland / Whirlpool
Water to fridge, but no water to ice-maker on Kirkland / Whirlpool SS22AEXHW01. How best to diagnose the probable valve problem?… read more
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry
Home Appliance tech,
model phsc39ehss1 frigidaire refrigerator rear mount icemaker
model phsc39ehss1 frigidaire refrigerator rear mount icemaker sometimes does not eject, cube on right side gets stuck in ejector tang when ice cube is removed it works for a while then gets stuck agai… read more
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry
Home Appliance tech,
I have a kenmore side by side. It isnt making ice cause the
I have a kenmore side by side. It isnt making ice cause the wire thing that is off at the top is broken when I try to move it into the make ice position… read more
Master Tech
Master Tech
Stop searching for answers—
GE Profile refrigerator icemaker has quit again. The last
GE Profile refrigerator icemaker has quit again. The last problem was the most frequent, the last ice hole (don't you love that) had a stuck cube which I solved by bashing it. Anyway it won't go from … read more
Home Appliance Technician,
The GE Profile refrigerator (model# XXXXX a non-LCD model
The GE Profile refrigerator (model# XXXXX a non-LCD model with a Smartwater MSWF filter) has stopped making ice. We bought it new about in a year ago (July 2008), but it was not installed in our newly… read more
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry
Home Appliance tech,
Automatic ice maker is not making ice. The signal arm is in
Automatic ice maker is not making ice. The signal arm is in the down position. Water line valve is open. Freezer is cold. Water dispenser is dispensing water. I don't believe I can hear water running … read more
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry
Home Appliance tech,
We were part of the ice storm that hit Kentucky. Our fridge
We were part of the ice storm that hit Kentucky. Our fridge was off for 2 weeks. When we replugged it back up the arm on the ice maker moved up and down like it should. Then, it stopped making ice. Th… read more
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry
Home Appliance tech,
I have a ed5ghexnq00 whirlpool refridgerator. I had something
I have a ed5ghexnq00 whirlpool refridgerator. I had something in the ice bin that did not let the ice eject. It froze with out ejecting. I defrosted the frezer to free up the ice jam, but it will not … read more
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry
Home Appliance tech,
I have a Kenmore bottom freezer, Model 596.70003002 (Amana)
I have a Kenmore bottom freezer, Model 596.70003002 (Amana) that doesn't seem to be able to eject ice from the icemaker. It sounds like it is trying but nothing is happening.… read more
Chas
Chas
Master Appliance Repair Technician,