Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an 8 year old kitchenaid side by side 48 in built in

Customer Question
refrigerator iwth water filtration....
I have an 8 year old kitchenaid side by side 48 in built in refrigerator iwth water filtration. Everything in the freezer has thawed. We think the door did not close but are now worried that the refrigerator section is also not cold enough. How can I tell if the refrigerator and freezer are working . I have a thermometer in the refrig now to check the temp. I don't know how long to leave it in. Plan to put it in the freezer next to check its temp. Do you have any more advice as to how to troubleshoot this problem. Don't want to call a repair man until I know if it was just an open door problem.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/1/2009
Appliance Technician: Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Hi,its a better idea to put a glass of water and put the thermometer in that to test fridge temp,air temp is harder to test than a liquid test,air is moving around inside the fridge,fridge temp is normally 37' 40' F ..freezer is 0 -2 only thing you may have done is block the air vents,if it is not cooling after 3-4 hours ,you could just thaw the whole thing to that frost buildup ad itll be ok,it may not have even got that far? temps will tell
Randy 43
Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician