Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I GE Profile frost free 23.6 cu ft refigerator (tfx24p4, tfh24pr,

Customer Question

I GE Profile frost free 23.6 cu ft refigerator (tfx24p4, tfh24pr, or tft24pr ?). I has been leaking water from below intermittently .... 2 - 3 times a week....not a lot ... just enough to puddle around the front and side of the fridge. When I vacuumed the lint and pet hair from the coils beneath the fridge, I noticed that water was dripping from the bottom of the freezer door. Looking further, I pulled the bottom freezer drawer out and found a layer of ice covering the feezer floor with water coming from somewhere? flowing over the ice and seeping out the bottom of the door onto the floor.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 8 years ago.
Hello this means that you have a clogged defrost drain hole.You need to remove the back panel in the freezer section chip the ice away until you see the hole once you see the hole you need to pour hot water down the hole until its clear.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have removed all the ice from the floor of the freezer....there doesn't seem to be any removable panel ..... but there is what appears to be a drain hole which I have cleared as best as possible with a small diameter nylon snake (3 ft long).....should I still put hot water down this drain.....how much? and where does it go.... thanx for the prompt reply!!
Yes still pour water down the hole until you see it in the drain pan under the unit.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Are we looking at the same fridge? I see no removable panel, nor any kind of drain pan beneath the unit
The back panel of the freezer comes out you have to remove the screws.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry, I thought you meant a panel inside the freezer compartment ..... give me a couple of minutes to get that panel off
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry, I thought you meant a panel inside the freezer compartment ..... give me a couple of minutes to get that panel off.....OK, back panel is off and no drain pan nor drain tube.....just ice maker plumbing, some electronics, and what appears to be a 1 gal holding tank of some sort
In the freezer.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Only removable panel in freezer is 2'x3' and covers the entire back wall of the freezer compartment....upon removal I found only cooling coils for the freezer behind it ....the only drain I see is on floor of the freezer compartment.....accessable with removing anything but the bottom drawer....... I can't find a drain pan anywhere
The drain pan is under the bottom of the unit not inside.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There really isn't any pan under the fridge....which may be the problem....I guess I'll have Sears come out and have a look....thanx for all your help!!
ok sorry here is a pic number 260 click here