Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Our Whirlpool dryer does not dry clothes completely. The unit

Customer Question
Our Whirlpool dryer does not...
Our Whirlpool dryer does not dry clothes completely. The unit is about 5 years old. My husband seems to think the vent duct is clogged; however, we had that cleared (force air-blown) at time of installation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/12/2009
Appliance Technician: John, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
John, Home Appliance Technician
Hi Thanks for your question,Try one load with the venting off, the dryer,I will need the Model # XXXXX

1. I do not understand your comment "try one load with venting off." Please explain. are you suggesting to pull the dryer out from the wall and disconnted the duct exhaust then test dry a load?

2. I am currently at work and will need to check model # XXXXX I get home tonight.

Ok ,But do that,I want to know ,If its the venting,One load will tell me ,If we have to look further

My handyman said the practice or advice that routine "cleaning out the dryer vent" is not necessary. It made sense to me since we had an older dryer unit over 10 years and never cleared the duct. Wondering if that is a common myth or misconception that it helps to improve drying and/or house fires? What you are asking us to do is not easy and will require hiring 2 people for half a day.

I dont understand all the work you have to do to take the vent off the back of the dryer ,why would it involve doing all that,And cleaning the vent is really important
The dryer in completely surrounded on all sides (positioned in a corner of laundry room against the back wall and one inch away from the Duet washer), and there is a 4-inch raised tile section in front (installed as caution in case of water hose break to prevent escaping into rest of house). So in order to remove the dryer vent off the back side, will require some man-power to reach. If you are telling me that is the best way to proceed to find out what is the etiology short of a service call, I will proceed.
Well first then Go outside where the vent leaves the house and turn the dryer on and see if theres a good air flow ,If its not that good , you might have to do that,The venting could even be kinked at the back of the dryer,If you use bounce sheets it could do the same,Take the lint filter and put water through the filter ,slowly,Does the water go through the filter,Or pool on the mesh,It could cause problem as well,

Ok. I will reply back with the requested information (model number) tomorrow.

Check the things I asked you to check ,I might not need the model #

I will still need to hire someone to check the outside vent outlet because it is located on the roof (washer and dryer on second floor). So, I would like to provide the information you initially requested to seek other possible causes. Will send tomorrow, thank you.

If its vented on the roof,Theres probably a screen at the vent ,And its probably clogged up, That would be the place to look for the problem
Ok, thanks. I'll get the handyman to take a peek. May I return to this discussion if that does not anser the problem?
For sure .The jobs not done till the paper work is done

Hi docjohn174. Sorry for the delay in getting back in touch. I forgot to bring the information you requested yesterday. The model number of our dryer is GEW9200LW0

(all zeros, not letter "O").

Karen

HI Karen

Did you check the roof vent

http://www.partstap.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=265488

Here is a breakdown of your dryer,for future

But I still think its on the roof

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX does this breakdown help me determine the cause if the outside vent is clear?

I sent you that just so you could see what the dryer looks like inside,Check the roof Then If its not there we can check further,Every roof vent has a screen to keep critters from getting in the vent,and I think thats what the problem is

The roof vent already has a screen, it was placed when we installed the newCustomer and at the same time we cleaned out the duct (with leaf blower). While I agree with you that is the first thing to rule-out, I believe that is not likely the problem. Since I am unable to get our handyman to the house until June 1st (he is booked solid), thought I should be prepared as to the next step. You asked for the model number so I assumed that would help you inform us about the next most likely problem originating from the dryer itself.

And thats the problem ,The screen on the roof, it catches all the lint from the dryer
Ok. Why did you need the model number?
So I could look at the dryer , to see if it could be anything else,
So, are you saying you do not see any other cause of our problems now that you have looked?
Yes thats right ,If theres a screen on the roof vent I wont change my mind
John, Home Appliance Technician
Ok, thanks.
Great thanks
John, Home Appliance Technician