Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Defrost problem with gss25jephbb

Customer Question
Defrost problem with gss25jephbb
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/12/2009
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
on this model generally the heater has gone bad if you have a defrost problem. Take everything out of the freezer and use a hair dryer to thaw all the frost off. Remove the lower back panel and thaw the silver coils called the "evaporator" with a hair dryer.

At the bottom of the silver coils is a glass tube heater. Because it's much like a light bulb they tend to go bad often.

Here is the heater assembly you will want to replace.

CLICK HERE

I have already installed a new defrost heater, a new limit switch, a new control board,

and replaced the thermister which sets on top of the evaporator coils.

All resistance checks taken from the appropriate pins in the electronic component

compartment (Wiring harness) indicate correct resistance for both thermister

circuit as well as heater/ limit switch circuits.

I just noticed a second thermister in the lower left corner of the evaporator

compartment.,..same part number as the other thermister..............

is this second thermistor also tied into the defrost circuit.?

Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
there are more than two thermisters in this refrigerator , whats the part # XXXXX the board you replaced? did you follow the instuctions on cutting one of the thermisters out (only if your serial# XXXXX is on the list) that comes with the board. on some of these refrigerators you need to cut the jumper wire and eliminate one of the thermisters. was the board you replaced part#
WR55X10656 ? also when you replaced the heater did you get the new dual heater that they re disigned for all the side by side refrigerators? the single heaters were failing so they had to go with a double heater. let me know thanks, Bryan

The board that I replaced was WR55X10656.

The heater is WR51X10055.......It is a single element Heater and the only one

shown for Refrigerator GSS25JEPHBB on any of the parts diagrams and parts

websites that I checked. It is the same as the heater that came with the unit..

This is not one of the refrigerators that requires you to cut the white wire loop

from pin 2 on connector J1. Those refrigerators are all top loaders and have

different part numbers than mine.

Yes there are more than 2 thermisters in this unit. One in the refrigerator compartment,

and 2 in the freezer evaporator compartment. My question refers to the two in the

freezer evaporator compartment........are they both part of the defrost circuit?

ok you need to replace the heater and put the new dual heater in it, click here to get the new dual heater , http://midwayparts.net/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4 this is what you need. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician