Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My refrigerator is not keeping food cold but my freezer is

My refrigerator is not keeping food cold but my freezer is working fine...what is the problem? I have the Maytag French Door refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom model #MFD2560HES
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
open the freezer door and listen for a fan, do you hear one running?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes, the fan is ruuning
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
ok then, pull everything out of the freezer and look at the back wall. Is there frost build up on the back wall?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes, there is a small layer of frost on the back wall, very thin
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
ok then that is your problem. You will need to pull everything out of your freezer and take the back panel off. Behind the back panel inside your freezer is your evaporator coils. They will be covered in frost preventing the freezer from blowing cold air up into the refrigerator section.

You will need to thaw this out with a hair dryer. Then, there is a 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils with 2 wires going to it. This is your defrost thermostat. You will need to replace this thermostat as it's stopping the heater from turning on so your developing too much frost for the air to get through.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so basically I need to get this new thermostat before I de-ice the coils since they will just freeze up again if I do not replace the thermostat, correct?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
that is correct, but if you thaw it out it will work for about 2 weeks for temperary use while your waiting for the thermostat
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We followed your instructions - we de-iced the coils, put everything back together, plugged in the fridge, set the temperature for the freezer and the refrigerator, but after 1 1/2 hours, it does not seem to be getting cold. Freezer is working fine. Any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We followed your instructions - we de-iced the coils, put everything back together, plugged in the fridge, set the temperature for the freezer and the refrigerator, but after 2 1/2 hours, it does not seem to be getting cold. Freezer is working fine. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
do you feel any air coming in from the upper back middle vent in the refrigerator?

I mean 2 1/2 hours is not a lot of time, it take about 24 hours but reguardless do you feel any air coming through that area?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, a slight movement of air in the back of the fridge. I just found a thermometer so I will leave that in the fridge for a couple of hours and see what happens.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
ok if you feel air then it's working, like I said it takes about 24 hours but you'll notice a difference in about 4-8 hours if you don't open the door.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Refrigerator seems much colder this morning. I am going to order a defrost thermostat, that is what I need, correct? I called a local appliance repairman who did not have this part in stock, but he said he has not seen very many of these fail, and I may need another part (of course would not say what part). Should I try the defrost thermostat first? Thanks for all your help.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
Deffinately try the thermostat first and I would have to disagree with him as this is the most common part I find bad on this unit when there is a defrost issue.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
<p>I spoke with the guy at the repair shop and he said we needed an electronic defrost control (??) different from a defrost thermostat?? </p><p> </p><p>I found the defrost thermostat from partstore.com for $28.95 + shipping - could not find any part called an electronic defrost control (which he has in stock and it is $78.95.</p><p> </p><p>Is he scamming me??</p>
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
the defrost control is actually the "electronic control" or the display board at the top from of your refrigerator. He's not scamming you. It's a good price and it's legitimate. It would be the thing you would want to replace if the thermostat does not fix the problem because it's responsible for timing the defrost cycle.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok - we are going to try the thermostat - seems like that is what it is. Thanks for your insight. Very appreciated -kind of broke right now.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
no problem, and good luck.