Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore Refrigerator model R134a and the freezer drain

plug keeps freezing up sending...
I have a Kenmore Refrigerator model R134a and the freezer drain plug keeps freezing up sending water into the refrigerator section. I have to unscrew the base of the freezer and clear the ice that accumulates under it and then use a hair dryer to melt the ice in the plug every week and it is getting annoying. This has just started happening in the last 6 months. I have owned this refrigerator for 7 years. I NEED HELP....PLEASE!!!!
5/1/2009
william, Home Appliance Technician
whats the model number please? thanks
it shows R134a on the back in blue. If that is not it where do I look?
thats the refrigerent in your frige look on the inside of your doors on the inside of the frige
coldspot model 106 manufactured 04/95
look for a bunch of numbers that dosent bring up anything
ok, next to model(NNN) NNN-NNNN serial # XXXXX

where does it freeze at

It freezes in the metal drain pan plug and then it backs up underneath the plastic covering. I end up removing the plastic cover and chip out all the ice from there and from under the metal drain pan(I guess it is called) area then use a hair dryer to melt the plug and pour hot water down the drain to flush the line. It only started doing this about 6 months ago.
whats the temp in your freezer?
don't really know, I would have to put a thermometer in it. I have the controls set at 3(recommended) on the refrigerator and between 3 and 4 for the freezer. 3 is also the recommended for the freezer. I have not modified the controls at all since I have owned the refrigerator.

do me a favor put a theremometer in there and check for me get back with me in about 1 hr set it on the rack ok

I did already put one in there and will get back with you at 10:45. Now, do I hit accept or just reply next?

you can just wait

the thermometer I put in the freezer went below 10 degrees F. that is as low as it registered.
so would you say 0 degrees then
yes

ok take a piece of copper wire wrap it around the coils that you see under there in the lower back and poke it up in the drain hole the heat from the coils will transfer in the drain pipe and keep the clear for you i seen this many of times

william, Home Appliance Technician
ok, I will try it. Thanks for your help.
william, Home Appliance Technician