Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I am trying to replace the water filter in my G E Profile bottom

I am trying to replace the water filter in my G E Profile bottom freezer french door unit. No matter what I do, the blade at the end of the filter (GSWF) will not go vertical. Also, does the reset filter light turn green when filter is properly installed?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.

can you get me model #? thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Does PFSS5NFWSS sound like the right number to you?

Nancy

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
is this your filter? Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width= this should just turn in clockwise and then you need to reset the change filter light, I believe on this you just press and hold it for a few seconds, I'm not sure what you mean by the blade will not go verticale though. let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That"s the one. According to instructions on the box and in the booklet that comes with the fridge, the blade (their word for it) on the end of the filter should be in a vertical position after twisting it in. It's that little bar on the end....No matter which way I try to put it in, when it catches and twists in, the bar is still sideways. Also, when I reset the filter light, it goes red when I hold it in, but then it shuts off. Is it supposed to do that, or is it supposed to be green? This easy one-handed maintainence is making me nuts!
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
I believe you have it in right. do you get water when you did have it in? the light I believe on this and turns red when the filter needs changing. let me know if your getting water. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK - I only have the ice maker, not the water dispenser stuff. How can I check the water, or do I have to wait for a long time to see if I get ice? And if I don"t, then what?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok . well it should make ice in a couple of hours, how long has it been in?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It's been in less than an hour.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
let it go for awhile and let me know, thanks Bryan