Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore gas range model(NNN) NNN-NNNNand the oven wont

work i can see the...
I have a Kenmore gas range model(NNN) NNN-NNNNand the oven wont work i can see the ignitior light up for the broiler heat up,but i cant see the one for the lower burner because of the cover, but neither burner will light. I turned it on yesterday and it started to heat up but then shut down
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/21/2009
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
ok , let me check the model and i'll be right back , thanks Bryan
ok so the broiler doesnt work either? do your top burners light? let me know thanks Bryan
yes they work fine

when you put this on broil only does the igniter come on and light the broiler? or does it just come on and afetr a few minutes does the igniter go off without lighting?

It does come on and burn brightly how long it stays on i am not sure but i am watching it right now
but does the burner light?
Yes it did finally light only after i closed the oven door, when i was watching the ignitor with the door open i could smell a slight gas odor and it would not light the ignitor was glowing for about 5 minutes without lighting with the door open. Also this range burns propane not natural gas if it makes any difference
well ok it sounds like the igniters are getting weak and not opening the safety valve fully and this will cause a gas smell before it lights, the thing is you say the oven is not lighting also and its rare that both igniters would go at the same time but this can happen. how long have you had this.?
I bought it new it's 13 years old, i did remove the lower shield to look at the ignitor an it does not glow at all and no gas smell
ok ,do you have a volt meter?
yes
ok can you see if the igniter unplugs or is it wired directly to the safety valve. Part 247055this is the valve.
one wire goes right to the valve and the other has a green connector plug
ok unplug the oven and then the green connector,set meter to ac volts put one meter probe in the green connector tape it so you dont short out and then put your other probe on the other wire connected to the valve and see if your getting 110. volts when you put it on bake. remember to plug oven back in, if your getting 110 -120 volts then your igniter is bad. I would replace both if the broils taking a long time to light. there getting old and are weak. let me know thanks Bryan
I checked the side with the yellow wire to the gas valve with that one still connected to the valve and got a reading of 119.2 v
ok it sounds like you need to replace the igniter. Ive checked around and the cheapest price for this is $47.00 @ http://midwestapplianceparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4634&cPath=200&m1track=googlebase&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=export_feed this should take care of the bake, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician