Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE Americana Range, Model JHP56V. The bottom oven

Customer Question
I have a GE Americana...
I have a GE Americana Range, Model JHP56V. The bottom oven doesn't heat up; it will neither broil or bake. This leads me to believe the problem is something other than the heating element - but I'm no appliance repair person. My husband can read a schematic. Can you please suggest how we might troubleshoot this problem? Thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
4/20/2009
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Hi, I'm Bryan let me see if I can help you, first off are the top burners working? and does you husband have a volt meter? let me know thanks, Bryan
Yes, all four burners work and so does the top oven. It's just the bottom oven - broiler element doesn't heat up, bottom baking element doesn't het up, and "clean oven" setting doesn't result in heat. Nothing hot on the bottom, at all.
ok let me check the model and see if there is a seperate safety thermostat in this.have you self cleaned this lately ? thanks Bryan
Bottom oven been inoperable for several years - and it's REALLY clean! We use the top oven exclusively (kind of hard to cook a turkey) and of course, cook on the burners all the time. We don't want to spend a ton of money repairing it because we intend to replace it within a year or so. But, if it's a cheap fix, we'll do it as the added convenience would be nice. Thanks and let me know what you find.
well your biggest problem is going to be finding parts for this. allot of the parts are no longer available, depends on what you need. how old is this? P.S it doesnt have a thermal fuse for bottom oven but I'm still checking other things on this I'll get back to you soon. thanks Bryan
yes, it's old and we may have a hard time finding parts. We know about fuses and my husband checked for that; we have a Jennaire microwave oven which blows a fuse about once a year and my husband replaces it quite easily.

Let me know what you find out. Thanks Bryan.
ok the best I can do is send you a link to the diagrams and let your husband look at these . http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=215088 I dont believe the elements are both gone so he need to look at the wiring from the controls and test the selector switch . it could also be the thermostat. here the best place to find some parts but not all, http://www.repairclinic.com/Appliance-Parts?s=t-JHP56V.-%3d%3ded521861&n=2 let me know thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Okay, we won't be able to get to the repair until later this week. Thanks for the help and resources. We may need to get back to you with additional questions. Can you please provide an email address? I'll go ahead and authorize payment - but please send your email address to me [email protected] Thanks Bryan
well I'm not allowed to send email address but you can leave the question open and come back and ask me more if I can help i will. if you leave question open you wont be charged again. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician