Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I need to lift the range top on my hotpoint gas stove but it

I need to lift the range top on my hotpoint gas stove but it does not lift. looks like there are catches that need to be released. can you assist?
do you have a model number on your range so I can better assist you?

Most ranges if you open the oven door there are a couple screws coming in from the bottom front lip of the top panel holding the top panel down so you might want to check there first.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
model number is XXXXX
ok because this is gas:

You need to remove the grates from the top as well as the burner caps and bases. Remove all the screws out of each of the burner bases to make sure the top is not connected to the gas frame below. After everything is removed you can take the top off.

After all screws have been removed you will need to use a putty knife and push back on the metal spring clips that connect the top panel to the front control panel. They are hidden about 3 inches from the sides in between the seam of the top and front panels.