John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

We cant get the oven to work correctly CRG9800AA1. Weve

Customer Question

We can't get the oven to work correctly CRG9800AA1. We've repalced the heat probe. Set the oven to 550, maybe get 200. Now what?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

Hi

Do you get a faint gas smell as well

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No. The gas lines are fine. Except when we were looking for the Maytag model number and inadvertantly lifted the top (burner area) up and now we'll have to replace the lines from the burner control to the burner--they're pretty kinked up. the appliance parts store said they're $60 each for the kit. Before we invest in these, we want to get the oven to work. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

HI

Thepart you need for the oven is # XXXXX And its about $ 50.00.I think here the parts are a bit cheaper

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My Q was not answered. You told me about the assembly kit for the top burner. I already know how to repair that, if it works. My Q was about the oven - still after replacing the temp probe we still can't control the oven temp. Set it at 550 and we might get 200. Try aagian and it's different. help please.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-CRG9800AA1-%3d%3di3377&PartID=3377

On the diagram I sent you is the Glow Coil .

That is the part you need to replace for the temp problem

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. this part goes in the same area as the other part i mentioned that i need to repair--under the top of the stove? Just doesn't make sense to me. I'll have the hubby look it over tonight. What in the world would make this go bad? Any clue?
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

Hi

That part goes in the oven, Its what lights up the gas and gets the temp up to what you set

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Would this part still need to be replaced if we are getting heat, although not consistent heat? We set the oven @ 530 and it pegs out at 600+. then turn it down to 450 and an hour later it's only 200.

Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
What happens if you set it at 350 deg and leave it dont reset the temp
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The replacement of the part you suggested makes no change. What else? Is it worth fixing, after putting $100 into it and knowing I have another $120 to repair the two front burner assemblies? Your opinion, please. Thank you for your patience, I've been out of town.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Hi,Sorry about the gas lines ,If there all bent And the problem could also be the timer ,You have replaced the heat probe,I would say no .Its throwing good $$$ after bad
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How much is the timer...That's what my hubby has thought was the problem all along.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I see what you mean. $200+ for the timer. Ok, I guess this puppy is a goner. thank you for all of your help. I will accept now.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Yes its a bit much to do to a old stove