How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Appliance Tech Larry Your Own Question
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 19183
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Appliance Tech Larry is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Microwave keeps blowing the circuit in my house. Now it

Customer Question

My Microwave keeps blowing the circuit in my house. Now it wont even turn on. Is there a reset button?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob Schauer replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX is a fuse located inside the cabinet that will open the control circuit if the door interlock switches are not working correctly. If your breaker in your house blew, there may be a more serious problem. I want to warn you that microwaves use a 120V control circuit but the voltage to the magnetron used 2000-3000V AC. You will need to carefully inspect components in microwave to see if you can spot something that appears to be shorted. In the hi voltage side of the circuit, the capacitor can store a charge even when the power is disconnected. After you make the inspection get back to me and let me know what you find. Bob
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok, so should I take off the paneling and look inside?
Expert:  Bob Schauer replied 8 years ago.
Yes, the case usually either lifts off of the chassis or slides back off of the chassis. Bob
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok the top is now off, what exactly am I looking for? Sorry, I am kind of dumb when it comes to this stuff
Expert:  Bob Schauer replied 8 years ago.
Usually in the bottom of the chassis behind the control board you will see a small cartridge fuse. The fuse can vary in appearance. You will need a continuity tester to check the fuse. You will need to pull the fuse out of the holder to check it. The hi voltage components can be recognized by the heavier wire going to or from each component. There will be a step up transformer in the among the high voltage components. The primary side of the transformer is recognizable by the smaller gage wire going to one side and the heavier wire coming off of the other side. Let me know if you can identify the components I have thus far described. Bob
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok the fuse I have found and its a grey color. I dont have a continuity tester to check it. And the other ones I think I know what you are saying. So why did it keep blowing the circuit in my house? My microwave is a 1300w panasonic.
Expert:  Bob Schauer replied 8 years ago.

Thats what your going to have to determine. If you can't test the fuse then replace it with one that you know is good. With a cup of water inside the microwave try running it with the cover off. There is no danger in getting burnt. What to see if there is any flash of a shorted component. If the fuse blows again then chances are that you will have to replace the interlock switches which are operated by the latches on the door when its closed. Let me know what you find. Bob

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok, thanks. The thing is, the power wont even turn on. It was working good until we tried using the microwave with our george forman grill. After that, it starting blowing the circuit and now the microwave wont even turn on. Its all brand new and only has been used a couple of times. Would it be cause we live in a older home? and the outlets suck?
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 8 years ago.
if this unit keeps blowing the breakers in the home then the problem will be in the hi-voltage section of the microwave and to work on that part it can be very harmful ,,,,, you will have a shorted hi-voltage transformer or mag tube and you need to read this before working on it yourself / Larry

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.



Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microvave oven. thanks

Related Appliance Questions