Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Maytag Gemini Gas Range Broiler will not Light

Customer Question
I have a Maytag Gas...
I have a Maytag Gas Gemini Range. Model MGR6772BDS. S/N 10224618AV. If I press the broil button the upper over bake burner lights. If i press the upper over bake the upper oven bake burner lights as it should. The broil burner never lights. I replace the clock board with a brand new board and the problem remains the same. I tested all of the safety valve terminals and have continuity. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/27/2009
Appliance Technician: Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician

Replace the broil igniter.

can i swap the upper bake and upper broil igniters to test this?

You should be able to.

ok let me try it - if it works i'll accept.
ok
Tom, That made no difference. I swapped the bake and broil igniters. When I press bake - the bake bruner fires up as it should. When I press broil the bake burner fires up - not the broiler burner.

So then I swapped the broil lead off of the clock/control board with the bake lead off of the clock/control board. Now when I press bake the broiler lights and when I press broil the brolier also lights - the bake burner never lights. The broil relay on the control board never operates - if I press bake or broil - only the bake relay operates. This would indicate the clock/control board but since I replaced it with a new one I would not expect the new one to have the same problem - would you?
It would not be the first time.Let me see if i can find a tech manual for your unit.
OK - one more piece to the puzzle - if I put the range in test mode and hit the bake and broil buttons it works correctly when I meter the bake and broil leads.

Go here it tells you how to test the components that are involved.

http://www.servicematters.com/maytag_library/docs/16021688.pdf

That is the same doc I used to put the range in test mode. As I have said in test mode the broil relay operates. In normal operation it does not. I also tested the safety valve and there was continuity on both circuits. I tested the temp sensor and it measured correctly at 1100 ohms. Both igniters work and if I swap the relay leads the broiler works so I know the safety valve works. Any other ideas?

It has to be the board there is nothing inbetween. You got a bad board.

Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
thanks for your time
Your welcome thank you
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician