Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Jenn Air SVD 48600B electric oven with LP gas

Customer Question
cooktop. It has an electronic...
I have a Jenn Air SVD 48600B electric oven with LP gas cooktop. It has an electronic face panel. For the second time in less than a year the panel shows an F-7. The service provider I worked with the first time diagnosed the problem as a failure of the master board and replaced it. They were some distance away. The cost was over $500. They now tell me the warranty was for only 90 days. This time I'm ordering a replacement panel from Sears, who will also supply me with a manual which describes how to do the job. If for some reason I can't do the job, the part is returnable. The salesperson advised me to find out about surge protection for the range, or at least for the panel. We have frequent power outages. If the replacement works for me, I would like to ensure that the problem not arise again in the future. My question is, assuming I'm successful with the replacement part, is there an easy way to protect against surges? A plug-in surge protector, for example?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/14/2009
Appliance Technician: Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Hello if you put the part in they will not take the part back unfortunately.There is no way to install a power surge protector on just the oven how ever they do they make a house surge protector you will have to have a electrician install it for you.
Are the oven electronic controls integral, meaning there's no way to separately protect the panel except by surge-protecting the whole house? Also, is there a way for me to look at the main panel to see if I already have whole-house surge protection and that the problem is something other than the surges?
Sorry but there is no way to just protect the control.The surge protector is big box its not on the breaker box but tied into it.
Is the big box visible, or is it behind the breakers?
Its visible i know in my area they are installing them for 300 dollars right now which is a good deal.
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic