Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an Amana smooth top stove model # XXXXX The right

I have an Amana smooth...
I have an Amana smooth top stove model # XXXXX The right rear element beneath the glass, "flamed up and went out" when I accidentally splashed hot liquid onto the hot burner area. Will not heat up since then. Do I need to replace the element and if so what parts do I need, from where, how much, and how do I access this area to make repairs??   I have no manual as we bought floor model w/o manual. Thanks!
2/14/2009
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Hi, this is Bryan i'll be glad to help. its sounds like you said you shorted ot the element. these are a little tricky to change and some help to hold things up while you change this would help. do you have someone to help you? let me know thanks Bryan
yes my husband and I will be doing it.
okay the first link I'm sending you is the diagrams. link click here, http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=17273 and can you tell me if there are any screws holding the top down when you open the oven door look up along the front and see.?
Thanks... Yes there are two screws one on either end.
ok take them out. unplug stove first. and then see if the top lifts up. thanks Bryan
Hey Bryan, We don't have the repalcement part yet because we don't have a manual or info regarding what part we really needed. SOOO I guess we should get that before we take the stove apart. Do you know what part or parts we need and who might carry those at a decent price? Recon we could get it at home depo or Lowes home store or do we have to order it and wait weeks to recieve it? I am hoping we can get it today and repair it today, but I would have to go buy it somewhere.
dont buy it through Lowes or home depot I'll find it for you cheaper than that> i just wanted to know if the top will lft up. can you just see if it lifts and we can take it from there? thanks Bryan
OK. be right back..... Thanks a million!
no problem
yes, it lifts up!!
great this wont be to difficult then. okay this is what you need and they have it in stock and will ship monday. that means you will have it in two to three days , not weeks. its a small burner right? 7" let me know Thanks Bryan, click here to see the part, http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=17273 and if you could plese press accept its the only way I get paid for helping, you can still ask nmore questions as long as you leave the post open. thanks Bryan
Yes the burner is apx. 7 inches across. The part I see on this link doesn't resemble what I think I need. Where do I get this part from??
this is a latch arm diagram. Do I really need this??
sorry no. go to diagram 5 part 5 . and look . thanks Bryan
is this a maytag part # XXXXX called a "Limiter" what we need? We don't need a burner?   
yes its the limiter. if the burner is good you may be able to just change the limiter. you should check the burner and make sure its okay though.Bryan
Do we check the burner with a continuity guage? We need to get one.   They say I need to call on Mon. regarding special attention to order a limiter. No prices mentioned there. Any ideas off the top of your head what a limiter will cost? Burners are around $38.00.
the best thing to do is buy the whole burner for $38.00 because it comes withe the limiter alredy installed in the burner that way your on the safe side. $38.00 is cheap for these i've seen some that are over $120.00 so replacing the burner is my best advice, hope this helps , thanks Bryan
So to recap bryan, you say that the 7" Element ribbon, part # XXXXX by Whirlpool is what I need to order, and that this part has a limiter already attatched?
yes thats it. the one on the diagrams I sent you . if your infinate switch is okay this should take care of it. the limiter is in the new element. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
O.K. Bryan. Wish us luck! We appreciate your help very much! Thanks a million!!
no problem. if you need more info when you get the burner just come back and ask I'll be glad to help, thanks Bryan
Hi, this is Bryan the add on and bonus is for leaving a bonus for the tech if you feel he went above and beyond normal technical help. and you feel he desrves a bonus for his time . its not required though but if you feel the info was realy helpfull then you can leave a bonus for the tech. its always appreciated. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician