Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I am trying to remove the rear panel of my GE SPacemaker laundry

Customer Question
center to see what is...
I am trying to remove the rear panel of my GE SPacemaker laundry center to see what is caught in the dryer drum. I makes a terrible noise when the dryer is running. Removed a ton of screws but the back panel still doesn't seem to want to come off. What's the trick? The drum isn't attached to the panel is it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/12/2009
Appliance Technician: Chas, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
WHAT IS THE MODEL NUMBER?
WSM2700HB It's a stacked unit
You need to remove the control panel and the remove the top there will be 2 screws after removing the control panel that will let you remove the front to lift out the drum to replace the rear bearing that is making the noise,,,,,no screws should have to come out of the rear of this unit for this..

I don't think it's a bearing. I've had bad bearings in my Whirlpool products before. This sounds more like something got stuck between the belt and drum or stuck somewhere in the drum machinery that is making noise when it runs.

So the back panel doesn't expose the interior of the drum? I definitely need to go through the front?

There's one control panel for the washer and dryer... if I take that off, will I have to remove any wiring? Also, I'm an older woman and I don't know if I can lift a drum by myself.

No wires need to be removed to remove the control panel,,, it only has to be dropped far eneough to reach the 2 screws that need to be removed,,,,and yes this does not have rollers like a whirlpool, this had a plastic bearing that wears out and sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard,,,, I can't stand the noise and I wear 2 hearing aids...It will require so dexterity to get the drum out since it is above the washer but only weighs about 25 lbs...

Also, I was just looking at it and while there are two screws holding the control panel on, the entire front face would have to be removed to expose the drum, including a number of screws on the top.

The sounds is a hard metallic scraping along with a sound that sounds like a load of gravel is in the drum. No screeching.

If I remove the front will I be able to see any debris that might be caught in the drum? That's really what it sounds like it is. This is a brand new machine and has only been used for a few weeks. It would be unusual to lose a bearing this fast, even if it wasn't greased properly at the factory.

the entire face of the control panel will drop out of the way to see the screws that need removed to take the front off,,,, yo will see when you remove the frum if the plastic bearing is shot or not.... it will be as plain as day!!!

If this is a new unit, why are you taking it apart, it has a one year warranty on it, through SEARS???

Although the units were installed new into the new condos, they aren't used until the new owners move in. Still, the warranties start running when the install takes place. That was over a year ago.

OK, I'm trying to take the control panel off. There are actually 6 screws, two tiny ones at the border of the inside, two that seem to be holding on white things that go under the panel, and two holding a silver plate that runs under the panel. My worst fear is that I mess up the wiring by taking off the wrong thing. Which set of screws are the two you're referring to?

If my memory serves me correctly they should be the tiny little screw on each side..
I removed all 6 screws and the screw holding the front panel to the top and the face/control panel isn't coming off. What now?
you should have to lift up on the front to unhook it..
I'm leifting pretty hard on the control panel and it's not coming off... is the face supposed to come off along with the control panel? I'm worried I'm going to break it.
I'm lifting pretty hard on the control panel and it's not coming off... is the face supposed to come off along with the control panel? I'm worried I'm going to break it.
Is the control panel hanging down yet?
No, it's not coming off
Do you have the large metal panel off from between the washer and sryer?
No you didn't tell me to take it off, but I did and now the control panel dropped down. I see the two screws holding the face on but the screws are on si tight I can't get them loose. I'm going to try some WD40 and a different screwdriver...

sorry about that,,,,let me know when you need more help??

As soon as I can get the faceplate off I'll try to get the drum out. It's not attached to anything else? Do I have to take out all the interior drum screws?

I hope I can get this thing back together!

When you dropped the white plate, was there a large silver plate behind it? If so remove that, then make sure the power is turned off,,, you will then need to remove the belt from the motor, make sure you look and and see how it is threaded before removing the belt on the unit....
Seriously? Am I going to be able to get all this back together right? I'm having a hard time taking out screws! I truly believe it is not the bearing. Is all this going to reveal to me anything that might be stuck in the drum/motor so I can get it out? If not, I'm not willing to go through all this just to prove a point.

I got the two screws out and I'm having trouble getting the face off. I hope I haven't broken anything, Is it attached to anything else?

What further steps are there until I can actually see the drum and motor? I'm getting in way over my head I fear!

I can only hope that you can put it all back together...if you can't see anything stuck on the drum or the motor at this point, most likely it is going to be the drum bearing in the back,,,this is why service companies charge $160.00 to come out for the labor alone..
Well I can't get the face off because it seems to be attached to the big plastic thing that the lint filter is attached to. ????
It seems like it's really more about knowing how the thing comes apart than anything else, and they hide that from you as best they can. None of this would be difficult if the manual would provide a schematic on how to disassemble the machine apart in order to make a repair. Knowing what's attached to what is key. So I guess they WANT you to spend 160. just for the labor... and let you wait at home weeks without the use of your machine until they get there. : (

graphic

graphic

graphic

LOL! Okay, that's pretty good. : )

Is there one showing how the panels come off? Somehow that's seeming harder than actually fixing the thing!!!

So from this it does look like I have to take the screws out of the inside of the drum?
No, once the front and belt is off the unit the drum pulls straight out...
I still can't get the faceplate off. It's attached to that lint funnel system. How does that come off?
there should be 2 screws inside of the front panel and then I believe 2 in front of the blower
Chas
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician