Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Maytag Neptune washing machine, (Model MAH7550AGW

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Neptune washing machine, (Model MAH7550AGW bought Aug 2005). When it begins the wash cycle you can hear the door lock, then a series of buzzes like a solenoid trying to operate. A message then appears on the screen saying that the door is not locked, and the wash will not proceed. If you try to open the door you can't, since it is locked. Pressing the pause button then unlocks the door. If you press the pause button again, to restart the wash, you get the buzzing sounds again and the same message about the door not being locked. Obviously some form if check is being performed which is failing. Is there a simple fix to this, something I could do myself if I can get the parts and information about what to unscrew where. Many thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
it sounds like you may have a bad control board, or door look assembly, in this.does any water go in? let me know thanks , Bryan,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The problem started last Friday, and after trying a whole bunch of times we have so far managed to get it to go through the whole wash each time. It seems that it is the initial check of the door lock which is the problem. If it gets past that it seems to work OK. Today I thought it was working as the water started to go in, then it checked the door again with all the buzzing sounds and it stopped and gave the message again. Havn't managed to get it working again yet.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
I believe you need to replace the door latch assembly, the door locks but doesnt engage the switch to let the board know it is locked. click here to see diagrams and get the latch assembly, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=MAH7550AGW& amp;productCategoryId=0153200&brandId=3048&modelName=WASHER&diagramPageId=00006&componentDescription=DOOR%20SHROUD%20&%20DOOR%20LATCH%20ASSEMBLY&documentId=M0604020&backToLink=Return%20to%20Sub%20Components%20list hope this helps , and please press accept for its the only way I get paid , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That looks great. I suppose my only problem now is knowing what to unscrew to replace the part. Any hints would be gratefully received.
Thanks for the answer, and I have no hesitation in pressing the accept button.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well the way to do that is take the screws out of the door and lift the door up and pull it off then take the screws on the other side out and pull the front panel out at the top and off the bottom clips and put it aside ,then you will need to take the screws (4) out of the bleach diespenser on the top of machine and then the screws holding the clips that hold the top down( on each side in the fromnt once you have the front panel off) and lift the top up and let it lean back against the wall. then you will see how to remove the latch assembly. hope this helps and thanks, Bryan