Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I purchased a Samsung Model RS2533SW, maybe two years ago,

Customer Question
and now the refrigerator part...
I purchased a Samsung Model RS2533SW, maybe two years ago, and now the refrigerator part is not cooling. The freezer part works fine. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/3/2009
Appliance Technician: Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Open up the freezer door and tell me if you hear a fan running inside the freezer.
No, we hear no fan running.
Then you have a bad evap fan. The freezer cools the frig by circulating are into it. If the fan is bad it wont blow air into the frig.
Do you know the part number we would need?
Does the evaporative cooler not work because the fan is not working? How do you fix it?
The evaporator cools the unit if the freezer is working then it is fine. It just inst getting air flow accross it because the fan is bad. You need to remove the back panel INSIDE the freezer and replace the fan.
How do you remove the panel, from the inside or outside, and if inside, where are screws.

Remove the back panel fron the inside. It is held on by several screws this is the part you need. http://www.partstore.com/Part/Samsung/Samsung/DA3100020E/New.aspx?ModelMfgName=Samsung&ModelBrandName=Samsung&ModelNumber=RS2533SW

Does the fan motor run on 120 volts or 24 volts ac?
120 volts ac
There's three wires, a yellow, black and a gray wire; if you were going to test it, which wires would you connect 120 volts across. Since there's 3 wires, is this a two-speed motor?
One is ground, one is neutral and one is power. I dont have a diagram but i would just test them al to eaachother and see if you get any volts.
Do you mean to put AC across two at a time to see if it would work. Is this a two-speed?
One speed motor. Two wires at a time is correct.
All it did was spark, no turning.
That means you have power and the motor is bad.
If it's sparking, is it possible the motor shorted out and and something else got ruined?
It is possible but if you are getting power then you should be ok. You just need to replace the motor.
I used an ac meter and I could not find any voltage in any of the three wires, testing two at a time. What else could it be? Why isn't there any power coming to the wires?
If you have no power then you have a bad control board.
What do you do about a bad control board? What is the board part number, and how do you get the board out of there? Are you sure the motor was 120 v., or could it be a 24 v? If it was 24 v., did I ruin the motor by applying 120v. to it?
Why did you apply 120 volts to it. You need to test then with a voltmeter. I would recommend you call a tech out there to fix this now. You may have fried the board if you grounded out the power. You never want to apply power to anything. You just want to see if you have power to it.
I did not apply power to the wires coming out of the refrigerator. I unsnapped the wire connector, and removed the motor. Then I applied the 120 v. to the wires two at a time (as you said) to the motor itself, not going into the refrigerator or control panel.

the motor was already bad. I wsould still call a tech out before throwing a 200 control board on it.

Do you know the part number for the control board, in case we need that? So you think it's the motor? Is there a schematic we can refer to?
Did you disappear?
My last question was not answered, so we're still not sure. Did somebody leave? Please get back to me so I can turn the computer off.
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi. this is Bryan. I was reading your posts with the other tech.,he told you your evaporator was 120.volts ac which is wrong its 12 volt dc, that means when you put 120 volts to the motor and it sparked you fried the motor. click here to get a new motor. http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-DA31-00020E-%3d%3di1075171&PartID=1075171 sorry you got the wrong advice. test for power with your meter at the plug in refrigerator freezer section where you unpluged motor set your volt meter for dc volts. let me know if you get 12 volts dc., if you dont you need to replace the main control board (pictured here) Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=hope this helps thanks Bryan, please press accept on this post for its the only way i get paid. thanks again, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
I did not accept, because J. Zimmerman gave us info that fried our motor. We asked about the volts, and he said it was 120 v. Then, after he stopped replying to us (see the stream above), someone else got on at 4 or 5 in the morning, and said that J. Zimmerman was wrong about the 120 v. It was supposed to be 12 v. dc. So now our motor is fried. Why would we accept this answer from J. Zimmerman.
dont accept ! he gave bad info.sorry, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician