Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

The plastic coupling between the motor and gearcase on my Kenmore

Customer Question

The plastic coupling between the motor and gearcase on my Kenmore 90 Series top loading washing machine finally stripped-out. Today I near completely dissassembled most of the mechanical parts of the machine, traveled 30 miles to pick up a new three part coupling assembly, cleaned the entire machine, reassembled, and tested the operation. Everything went well except for finding some grease on the floor beneath the machine, on and around the gear case, and up in the agitator assembly. The presence of the grease in the agitator assembly explains the recent grease spots found on clean clothes after being washed. Any suggestions on what could be causing the grease leaks? Any options other than replacing the gear case?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 8 years ago.
Hello you have a bad spin tube this is the part that the transmission goes u into you can not reseal or repack this part the spin tube will come with a new clutch assemble as well.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I think I understand how that will keep grease out of the tub, but will that address the problem of grease on the floor, on the gear case, and underside of the machine?

Yes if the transmission is not leaking out of the seal right were the coupler hooks to then you only have one leak and this is the spin tube pretty common issue on this model.
Do you have any more questions?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, I am certainly a novice at these washers, but am wondering where the grease is coming from. Is it coming from the gear case?
No its coming from the spin tube this is the part that goes up into the washer the part the transmission goes into. It is called the spin tube or basket drive.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Are you referring to what Sears call the the "brake and drive tube" ? I am a little confused because your initial posting said that the clutch would come with it as well. It does not appear that the clutch is included with this part.

It does not say its included but the clutch does come with the drive tube assembly yes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have removed the agitator pieces and while looking at the tube assembly I am having a hard time understanding where the grease is coming from on the tube. There is lots of grease and the tube is just that - a tube. For the amount of grease all over the agitator parts it seams like a lot of grease to be coming from the tube and brake assembly. There is even some grease on the brake. There is also a lot of grease on the shaft, and yet the exact source is still a mystery. Am I not understanding something?
The tube has grease inside it take the transmission out three 1/2 bolts hold it in then the spin tube has a spring at the bottom twist it and the tube will come out once you inspect it you will understand were the grease is coming from.