Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

where would the thermostats for both the fridge and the freezer

Customer Question
where would the thermostats...
where would the thermostats for both the fridge and the freezer be located? I can only find one which is located inside in the front. Im thinking that is for the fridge. Im told there should be two. I have a whorlpool. I am not sure of the year
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/1/2009
Appliance Technician: I.can, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
I.can
I.can, Home Appliance Technician
ET4WSKXKQ06
The freezer is working fine but the fridge does not. In the back wherethe vents are it continuously freezes up preventing the air to circulate to the refrigerator. What is the problem?
Hello
Welcome to Just Answer.

What is wrong with your fridge is that one of these three mechanisms are faulty.
and in need of repair or replacement! This list below I made, are of the three most common reasons for your problem. You will need a tech on location to do the actual tests to determine which of these parts is faulty and replace them.

Faulty Defrost Timer / Control
Some models use a mechanical timer while others use an adaptive control which is a computer board. Regardless which device is used, the purpose is the same. The defrost control is used to send power to the defrost heaters at the proper time. If power is not reaching the the defrost heater circuity, it is most likely the fault of the defrost timer/control mechanism.

When the defrost timer is in the defrost cycle, the compressor and fans will cease to operate. If the timer fails to advance from the defrost cycle, the machine will not operate. Mechanical style timers can be manually advance both into and out of the defrost cycle.
Faulty Defrost Heater
The defrost heater is located on the
evaporator coil (located in the freezer compartment) and is designed to melt the frost from the coils. If there is power getting to the heater and it will not get hot, the defrost heater is most likely faulty. It should have a resistance of 20-50 ohms in most cases.
Faulty Defrost Thermostat
The defrost thermostat is designed to turn the power off to the defrost heater once the coils are clear of frost. It is a temperature actuated switch and once the coils are clear, the thermostat will open and the heater will be turned off. If the thermostat does not reset once it gets below freezing, it is most likely defective.

How old is the fridge?

Thanks for trusting us with your questions
Let me know how it goes!

Please press the "Accept" button if my answer has helped.
This is the only way I get paid for providing my services.
You can still ask me questions after accepting!

Don't forget to leave feedback - bonuses are also welcome and appreciated!!!

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Thank you for using Just Answer.
Sincerely, Ican

The reason I asked you how old your fridge is because if it's ten years or older you may want to consider this before you repair your fridge!
Here is an interesting report I wrote!

Repair or replace?

When to pull the plug on your old refrigerator

It nearly always makes sense to undertake simple do-it-yourself repairs,
such as replacing a gasket on a refrigerator or a freezer.

Typically, you'll also find a troubleshooting section for more-serious problems
in the owner's manual.

Should you pay for a repair or buy a new model?
The answer depends mostly on the age of your refrigerator,
how much you bought it for,and the cost of the repair.

Follow these guidelines:

When a repair makes sense.

If your refrigerator is under warranty or less than four years old (three years for top-freezers),
paying for a repair makes sense.
Note that refrigerators under warranty might require service from a factory-authorized technician;
readers have found them on a par with independent repairers.

When a repair might be a wise choice.

If your refrigerator is out of warranty and is four to seven years old,
it might make sense to pay for a repair. Customers generally pay $100 to $200 for a repair.
But you might want to buy a new model even at this stage,
given that today's models are quieter and have added features.
Higher energy efficiency is another plus: Energy Star-qualified models made after April 28, 2008,
are 43 percent more efficient than conventional models built before 2001 and 56 percent
more efficient than those built before 1993.

When it pays to replace.

The repair costs more than half the price of a comparable new refrigerator.
Data also shows that it doesn't pay to fix a less-expensive top-freezer refrigerator
six or more years old or a bottom-freezer or side-by-side eight or more years old.

Thanks to better recycling programs, less than 10 percent
of a refrigerator you replace is likely to end up in a landfill.

Let me know how it goes!

Thank you for using Just Answer.
Sincerely, Ican
I.can
I.can
I.can, Home Appliance Technician