Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

We currently have a G.E. gas 4 burner built-in cooktop which

Customer Question
is either a Model JGP650...
We currently have a G.E. gas 4 burner built-in cooktop which is either a Model JGP650, 651, 652 or 653 where the electric lighter is malfunctioning and "clicking" whenever it is plugged in. We have been informed that no parts are available for this cooktop. We also have informed that none of the new G.E. cooktops will fit the opening of 17 1/4 " x 32 1/4 opening in our counter top and would require a kitchen remodel and loss of cabinet space. Could you direct me to a source where I could obtain a 4 burner cooktop to fit the opening in our counter top? XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/2/2009
Appliance Technician: Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales replied 9 years ago
Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales

Hi Jim,

Yes, this is a tough one. I'm pretty sure I remember that GE had that model made for them by White Westinghouse. The company was sold a couple of times and ended up be owned by Frigidaire (now Electrolux).

So, I went there first hoping that they still have that size. Although I could not find an exact fit, I did find I believe the closes fit.

You would need to cut 2 more inches on the sides (an inch on each side maybe) for the width. You would also add a piece to cut the front to back dimension down. I have seen a number of cabinet makers do this sort of adjustment without too much difficulty.

If you go to this link below, you will see the model that I think is your best fit.

http://www.frigidaire.com/products/cooking/cooktops/sealed_burner_gas/prod_FGC36S6A.asp

If you already have considered this model, let me know what other manufacturers and/or models that you have already checked.

Bernie

Bernard S.

Thanks.

We really wish to avoid cutting into tile counter top which will also adversely affect the drawers and cabinets located under the cooktop. Are you aware of any vendors that may have these discontinued G.E. cooktops in their stock?. Are the burners and electric starters for these models available from any source? XXXXX XXXXX

Hi Jim,

You would have to try "used" appliance dealers to see if you can find that model with one of them. No one would have a model that old (unless it was some very unusual fluke). Appliances dealers must move old inventory or go out of business. Having a model more than 3 years old is a real problem for an appliance dealer.

Try the link below for parts. If they are not able to supply the parts, they may be able to tell you where you can get the parts or how you can substitute other parts for those. I have to believe that there would be substitutes for them.

http://www.antiquevintageappliances.com/antique_appliance_parts.htm

I looked for a 30" version of the above cooktop from Frigidaire and I could not find one.

That's the most shallow I could find.

bernie

Bernard S.
Bernard S.
Bernard S.