william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

i have a kitchen aid garbage disposal model # XXXXX serial

Customer Question

i have a kitchen aid garbage disposal model # XXXXX serial # XXXXX The unit is jammed, it's humming but will not rotate. need to know how to unjam unit.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 8 years ago.

how long has this been jammed thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
only one day
Expert:  william replied 8 years ago.

ok thanks you may have to do this a couple of times but everytime you unplug it and plug it back in you should hit the reset button on the bottom and if this dont work after a couple of times of trying i have 1 more for you but that will require taking it completely out and unhooked from the power but try this first and be rough with it you have to try and turn them blades the other way little by little get back with me ok

1Turn the power off to your garbage disposal. Step2Use a flashlight to look into the garbage disposal through the sink drain. If you can see any foreign object blocking the blades from turning, use tongs, pliers or another tool to grab and remove the object. Step3Locate the hex-head wrench that came with your garbage disposal. If you cannot find it, find a hex-head wrench that fits into the hole in the bottom of your garbage disposal. Step4Insert the hex-head wrench into the hole in the bottom of your garbage disposal and turn the wrench back and forth. This manually turns the flywheel to free it from obstructions. Step5Insert a wooden spoon handle or a broom handle into the garbage disposal through the sink drain and manually turn the flywheel until it moves freely. Step6Turn the power to your garbage disposal back on when you think the problem is solved, and test the results.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We can't find the hole at the bottum of the unit to insert the hex head, is it possiable that there isnt one?
Expert:  william replied 8 years ago.
so it it sealed maybe on the side anywhere look for a hole if not use the end of a wooden broom handle and jerk it counterclock wise be rough with it
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Could there be no reset button? On the side of the red cover it says 3/4 hp anti-jam automatic reversing???? I really dont want to remove the unit.

Expert:  william replied 8 years ago.

take off that cover and see whats in there

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can you call me or me call you(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Expert:  william replied 8 years ago.
im sorry no phone calls
Expert:  william replied 8 years ago.
was you able to take that cover off though
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you happy new year
Expert:  william replied 8 years ago.
did it work