Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

MayTag Top Load washer Mod# XXXXX Drum will not spin.

MayTag Top Load washer Mod# XXXXX Drum will not spin. It will agitate and drain. Motor is running but not spinning. the last time someone can out on this, he reset somthing without opening anything up and it started spinning again. What did he do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 8 years ago.

this is not going to happen again, your thrust bearing has gone out and not lifiting the transmission off the brake stator, you will need to replace it which is very easy with this new one they came out with, you need to tip the machine back and remove one clip. this is part number 12002213, and you can order it at http://www.apwagner.com/, this is only a 15 minute repair that anybody can do, it even comes with installation instruction.

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

BONUSES ARE WELCOME but are not mandatory
Chas

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It has been over a year since the last guy came out. It quit the other day during an unballanced load situation The same thing it did last time. Is there nothing I can do from the top end to free the drum. I was not here the last time but the wife said he did it in about two seconds and was gone.
Expert:  Chas replied 8 years ago.

a year ago he should have changed this part, they have had a lot of problems with this, what he did is shake the tub and hope that it broke free from the stator which is going to happen again if it starts working,

Chas

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the info. I guess I will be replacing the bearing.
Expert:  Chas replied 8 years ago.

It is so simple even my wife can install it. in the mean time you can see if you can get it to break free while shaking the agitator.