Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

What is causing our Accubake to turn on and not go off?

We have had an Accubake...

We have had an Accubake System for the past several years and have had this problem with it, and it is getting worse! The problem is that when you are using the oven, it may at anytime switch to broil or self clean without anyone touching the controls. Even after you have finished cooking and you are out of the room, the stove has turned itself on to 400 or 500 degrees. When it does this it cannot be turned off. I have in the past called in with this problem when the stove was new, and I was told to just reset the control breaker for house power to the stove, wait ten minutes and turn it back on. That should reset the computer. Well this used to work, but lately it may take up to five times to get it out of broil or self clean. This has ruined several meals for us. The local service people think this is a fire hazard and should be recalled? Has there been a recall on these by chance, or is there a fix? We do like this stove and except for this haunting problem everything else seems okay. How do we get rid of this?

1/1/2009
william, Home Appliance Technician

Can I get the make and model number of this ghost?

The make is Whirlpool the front of the unit says: Accubake Systyem Super Capacity 465 the Model Number: RF 396LXEB 0.

The Serial Number is: RF 4 9 2 8 1 9 9 . I hope this helps you.

Thank you. Since it seems that everything runs through the control board the bake the broil your self/clean and all your temps seems to me that all you need to do is to put a new control board in it because it did work in the past to just reset it by the breaker as you stated but to many times of doing that has damaged the board just like shocking it put a new control board in it and you will have no more issues.

I had that feeling! Is there a good site to get this board and how much of a pain is it to put it in?

What color do you have? White, black or almond? There’s different part numbers for different colors. I found you a web site you can order everything there all in one shot.

The system is black.

http://www.repairclinic.com/Parts?s=t-rf396lxeb0-%3d%3dc212&n=1&z=10 Click on here your item number is: 504973 as always these are special order 10-14 days i went to 4 other places and it was the same way special order.

william, Home Appliance Technician

Thanks a lot you have been a great help.

No problem, have a good day.

william, Home Appliance Technician