Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .
11923974

Hook-up instruction for green wire with clip/where does clip

Customer Question

Hook-up instruction for green wire with clip/where does clip attach?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 8 years ago.
hello,

on what particular unit would this be? usually, green wire is for grounding to the chassis
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Francis,

I replaced a non-functioning timer. The new one advances properly,however, now the spin cycle will not complete, the water continues to run and the door will not unlock. Also, the door red indicator light does not come on. All of these things worked properly prior to timer replacement.

Expert:  Francis replied 8 years ago.
hello,

where is the green wire that you are asking before coming from? i read the question from the other post. i'm confused. do you asked two questions on different post?
Expert:  Francis replied 8 years ago.
hello charles,

i saw you got two post. sorry i did not respond to your other question, i am only responding to the green wire that you asked on this post.

it would be clipped to the timer chassis. the metal housing of the timer if it has one.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Francis,

It will take me about 30 minutes answer your question.Meanwhile, I sent you a reply stating the functional problems I am having. Installing the timer was straight forward, except I wasn't sure about the green wire. I forgot where it attached to the chassie, so much seems to be non-metallic.

The one end of the green wire is attached to the chassie. It,s the brass clip end I,m not shure where it hooks up ie I forgot where I took it off. With that exception the rest of the timer hook up wasstraight forward in that I just had to plug in the wiring harness and reinstall in the control panel. The presently described mal functions previously worked when I manually advanced the timer.

Be in touch soon,

Chuck Ruehle

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Francis,

The timer is non-metallic.

Chuck

Expert:  Francis replied 8 years ago.
ok..so it could be where you attached the timer. could be in the panel where the timer is attached. it is just making sure that all metal of the unit is attached to the same ground wire of the power cord. they all goes to this wire. if a front panel would be detached and it is metal, then the green wire would be used to attached the grounding wire of the cord.