Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

How to unlock Kenmore Elite oven door?

Customer Question
How to unlock oven door...

How to unlock oven door on Kenmore Elite?

Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Appliance
12/25/2008
Appliance Technician: Stephen R., Home Appliance Technician replied 9 years ago
Stephen R.
Stephen R., Home Appliance Technician

Just need a bit more info from you. What is the model number of the unit you are having a problem with, and why is the door locked right now? Is it from running a self-clean cycle?

Kenmore Elite oven slide in to counter top. Do not have model number. It is approximately 6 years old. The oven door locked when wife leaned up against the front of the stove. We can not locate owners manual.

Does the oven use a manual latch across the front at the top of the door? Does your model have a self-clean?

Because it is a Kenmore Elite, I assume it has an automatic latch and a self-clean cycle, but without the model number, I can't be sure.

The stove is a self cleaner with automatic latch. My wife's belt buckle hit the lock button, heard a beep. Do you have to push the unlock button and another button to release it?

It sounds like she actually activated the Control Lock function. Which in some appliances will actually latch the door. Most of these have a key press time or key dance to turn them on and turn them off. I would try holding the lock key for 3 seconds, or 5 seconds in some cases. Other times you actually have to press the button 3 times in a row.

I am pretty sure on your model it is holding it for 5 seconds. This of course would only be the case if the control is set to lock and not in the self-clean mode. If it is in self-clean, pressing the Cancel button will allow it to unlock itself after it drops below 400ºF.

After holding for 5 seconds we get code F1 ERR, repeated hold 5 seconds twice and got the same message F1 ERR. Please advise.

I really need the model number to offer specific help. Depending on who manufactured that particular range for Kenmore, F1 can mean different things. More then likely, F1 is just the error for "stuck key" because you are holding it down for a long period of time.

Did you try pressing it 3 times consecutively?

Where can I find model number? The stove is slide in into granite counter top and oven is locked. The stop/clear key on the control pad has a lock insignia next to it with a number 3 inside the lock if this means anything. My wife thinks that you have to push two buttons to release.

The 3 inside the lock symbol indicates that you need to press that button 3 times in a row to get it to unlock. Do it with less then 1/2 second pauses in between each press. You can look for the model number on the front leg support, either left or right leg, when you pull out the drawer or take loose the bottom cover on your stove.

There are so many options on them, it is hard to tell you exactly what you need to do. Sorry, I really do want to help you get it fixed. Just an extra question, if you press any of the other keys, like BAKE, does that key work? Or does it just flash LOC or LOCK?

Model Number 790.46373401

Your range is actually manufactured by Frigidaire. On that model, you need to press and hold the button for 3 seconds. It will unlock it and allow the unit to regain full operation.

I have also set up a download link for you to get the owners manual in PDF format. The information about the lock out is on page 18.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bmcmt3mlmq4/79046373401_Manual.pdf

Three seconds does not work. When I click on link it takes me to all kinds of stuff that I don't want and not the manual. Can you copy and paste page 18 and send it to me.

I'm sorry that didn't work for you and the link didn't work. The link should just take you to a page in MediaFire that should have a link that says "Click Here to Start Download". Although I have all kinds of popup blockers on my computer where I don't see anything but the option to download.

Here is a copy of page 18:

Setting Oven Lockout Feature
The STOP/CLEAR pad controls the Oven Lockout feature. The Oven Lockout feature automatically locks the oven door and prevents the Warmer Drawer from being turned on. It does not disable the clock, Kitchen Timer, Surface gas burners, Warmer Zone or the interior oven lights.

INSTRUCTIONS
To activate the Oven Lockout feature:
1. Press and hold STOP/CLEAR for 3 seconds (Figure 1).
2. After 3 seconds the lock icon light will appear, a beep will
sound and "DOOR LOCKED" will flash in the display. Once the
oven door is locked the "DOOR LOCKED" indicator will stop
flashing and remain on along with the lock icon light.

To reactivate normal oven operation:
1. Press and hold STOP/CLEAR for 3 seconds. A beep will sound. The
"DOOR LOCKED" will continue to flash until the oven door has
completely unlocked and the lock icon light has cleared.
2. The range is again fully operational.

I also went ahead and uploaded the PDF file to my personal email/file hosting service. Hope this one will work for you without any extra options. It should just load it in a window in your browser. If you want to save it for later, you should have the option to do so, depending on what PDF viewer program you use. Sorry again. I have used MediaFire in the past for file transfer and haven't noticed any problems.

http://sranft.sent.com/79046373401_Manual.pdf

That has not worked. How about turning off power and see if it will recycle?

At this point, there is no harm in trying that. Leave it off for at least a minute. Is the lock symbol on the display, where the time is displayed?

Yes the clock works fine.

Is there a LOCK symbol shown in the display?

Yes in red a sign for locked.

If holding the STOP/CLEAR button for 3 seconds, which would be followed by a beep, doesn't unlock your control then you will need to get a technician out there to look at it.

Did you turn off the power to it for a short period of time? Were you able to view the PDF file of the owners manual?

Believe it or not we had a tech scheduled and it had to be rescheduled for next week. I am done, wait for him to do it. Thanks for your help.

Where are you from? I am in the product brokerage and internet marketing business. works like a franchise. I have been with them for over 10 years. If interested in earning additional income let me know with contact info.

Have a great holiday.

Thanks Customer for the offer. I'm down in Texas but per site rules am not allowed to trade personal info.

I'm sorry none of my answers were acceptable. Really hoped I could get it working for you.

Have a good one,
Stephen R.
Stephen R.
Stephen R.
Stephen R., Home Appliance Technician