Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Our 5 yr old Maytag refrigerator (top mount) started showing

Our 5 yr old Maytag refrigerator (top mount) started showing water between the top and bottom doors. Unknowlingly I switched the freezer to off, removed the food, cleaned the coils in the back and turned it back on. Now, the temps on both freezer and fridge are too warm. It has been one week and I can't get the temps up. Fridge is about 50 and freezer 20.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
can you see any frost on the back panel in freezer section? also if you could get me the model # XXXXX would help. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, a small amount of frost and also on the vents at the back/bottom of freezer - Model #MTB1956GE
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
I believe you have a defrost problem , what you need to do is remove the back panel in the freezer section and see if the coils are really covered in frost. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How do I do that safely without ruining the fridge?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
unplug ref. remove the food and if it has a ice maker remove it , then take the screws out of the back panel. and pull it forward from the top and remove the the light cover and the plastic part covering the fan in the middle. once you have the back panel inside off you will see the frost on the coils take a hair dryer and defrost all the frost out. take your time and don't pick at it with anything like knife or screw driver, get some towels ready. when thats done check the defrost thermostat. do you have a volt meter and know how to test for continuity? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Where is the defrost thermostat and no we don't have a volt meter.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok well the defrost thermostat is on the top of the coils if you dont have a meter you will probably have to just replace it this is what it looks like Part 791286this is most likely the cause. it could also be the defrost timer, but cant tell without meter. Bryan