Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I HAVE A MAYTAG NEPTUNE MAH55FLBWW WITH A WATER LEAK UNDER

I HAVE A MAYTAG NEPTUNE MAH55FLBWW WITH A WATER LEAK UNDER THE MACHINE. IS IT EASILY FIXED OR SHOULD I JUST REPLACE BASED ON ALL THE PROBLEMS MAYTAG SEEMED TO HAVE WITH THE NEPTUNES. I HAVE BEEN LUCKY, THIS IS MY FIRST ISSUE SINCE I PURCHASED 8/14/2003.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 8 years ago.
Hello What is the model # thanks?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
MAYTAG NEPTUNE MAH55FLBWW
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
YOU STILL WITH ME?
Hello yes what is the model number so i can better assist thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
IT IS THE MAYTAG NEPTUNE MODEL# XXXXX
Hello do you have the back panel off. If the leak is coming from the tub in the middle its the rear bearing. Can you tell were the leak is coming from?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I DID NOT TAKE OFF THE BACK PANEL, I JUST SAW THE WATER UNDER THE BOTTOM OF THE WASHER
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I DID NOT TAKE OFF THE BACK PANEL, I JUST SAW THE WATER UNDER THE BOTTOM OF THE WASHER SO
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I DID NOT TAKE OFF THE BACK PANEL, I JUST SAW THE WATER UNDER THE BOTTOM OF THE WASHER SO I
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I DID NOT TAKE OFF THE BACK PANEL, I JUST SAW THE WATER UNDER THE BOTTOM OF THE WASHER SO I DO
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I DID NOT TAKE OFF THE BACK PANEL, I JUST SAW THE WATER UNDER THE BOTTOM OF THE WASHER SO I DO NOT
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I DID NOT TAKE OFF THE BACK PANEL, I JUST SAW THE WATER UNDER THE BOTTOM OF THE WASHER SO I DO NOT KNOW
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I DID NOT TAKE OFF THE BACK PANEL, I JUST SAW THE WATER UNDER THE BOTTOM OF THE WASHER SO I DO NOT KNOW WHERE
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I DID NOT TAKE OFF THE BACK PANEL, I JUST SAW THE WATER UNDER THE BOTTOM OF THE WASHER SO I DO NOT KNOW WHERE IT IS
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I DID NOT TAKE OFF THE BACK PANEL, I JUST SAW THE WATER UNDER THE BOTTOM OF THE WASHER SO I DO NOT KNOW WHERE IT IS COMING FROM.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I DID NOT TAKE OFF THE BACK PANEL, I JUST SAW THE WATER UNDER THE BOTTOM OF THE WASHER SO I DO NOT KNOW WHERE IT
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I DID NOT TAKE OFF THE BACK PANEL, I JUST SAW THE WATER UNDER THE BOTTOM OF THE WASHER SO I DO NOT KNOW WHERE IT IS COMING
Ok lets start by looking for the water take the panel off this may be an easy one. Maytag has had some issues but not related to leaks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK, I WILL AND WILL BE RIGHT BACK

Ok

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
IT SEEMS TO BE COMING OUT OF THE FRONT AREA, IN FRONT OF THE TUB - WATER SEEMS TO POOL ON THE FLOOR IN THE LEFT FRONT AS YOU FACE THE MACHINE
Ok open the door and look at the boot it may have a hole in it.Look down in the boot and run you hand around the bottom part. There is nothing else on the front that can leak.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
IN THE LOWER CENTER FRONT OF THE BOOT, THERE IS A RECESSED HOLE (DRAIN) AND THEN JUST NEXT TO IT, THERE IS A SLIGHT CUT WHERE THE BOOT SEEMS TO RUB AGAINST THE HARD PLASTIC FITTING UNDER THE BOOT DRAIN. IT HAS ABOUT A 3/8 INCH SLIT.
Ok sounds like you have found the problem!! There should not be a slit!! The hole that is there the little one drain thats right it should be there.So you will need a new boot a lot cheaper than buying new.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
THE DRAIN IS ROUND, I BELIEVE THE SLIT IS FROM THE HARD PLASTIC INTERNAL SURROUND ON THE DRAIN RUBBING ON THE BOOT. THINK I CAN PATCH IT WITH SOMETHING SINCE IT IS SMALL? OR JUST NEED TO BREAKDOWN AND GET A BOOT?
I would just get a boot. I have never tried to patch this boot or any other boot for that matter. I would not recommend patching it. The slit will just get bigger and bigger with time and leak more water!!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ANY IDEA WHAT THAT BOOT WOULD COST INSTALLED - JUST A ROUGH ESTIMATE?

If you had a service tech do it around 200,225. Here is a link were you can get it so you can put it on or hire a service company to do it. If you get the part and have them put it on it will save you money on the mark up of parts. Its number 18 on the diagram.

http://www.partselect.com/ModelFrames.aspx?ModelID=141097&ModelNum=MAH55FLBWW&mfgModelNum=&ManufactureID=1&Selected=53116&Position=6&mfg=Maytag&Type=&Mark=6