John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Whirlpool s/b/s refrigerator stopped cooling

Customer Question

Whirlpool Refrigerator Model # XXXXX Mfg date 01/2002.

It stopped cooling over night without any pre-signs of defrosing. It has power and I can hear a motor is running. I have cleaned the condenser coils front and back. I can not locate a reset button, so I turned the control knob off and on several times and I unplugged it while it was running and waited several seconds before plugging it back in.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

Hi you said you can hear a motor runing.can you tell me which motor is going Is it ciming from the freezer

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, it is coming from the freezer or atleast when I open the freezer door it is louder inside.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
I would look at the relay on the compressor. remove the black box on the side of the compressor and check there. If burnt. replace the relay. hope I helped you Please accept The appliance doc
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If that is not the problem, would you have any other advise?
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
If its not just the relay ,It could be a bad compressor. Do you have a volt meter to check. If you have voltage at the compressor.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
All I see is a white box on this model and it is attacked with a plastic electrical strap. Is this what you are talking about?
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
yes some are white some are black. but yes thats the realay.,And they burn out often It probably smells burnt Replace the relay hope I helped you please accept The appliance doc
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
have a great day
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just removed the relay and it looks fine and there is no signs of it being burned. Could it still be bad?
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

http://www.partselect.com/AdvancedModelSearch.aspx?ModelNum=ED5FTGXKQ01&mfgModelNum=&fkMfgID=3

Here Is a breakdown of the fridge. Do you have a volt meter to check If there is power at the relay. They are cheap to buy If you dont have one But If the fan in the freezer Is on then you should have power at the compressor. So replace the relay. Hope I answered your question. Please accept The appliance doc

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX replace it and hopefully that will do it.

Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
It should Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have called several places looking for a relay and everyone has told me that if the compressor is running, the relay can not be bad, because that is the souce that starts the compressor. While it is running it makes a loud click and the compressor goes to a different sound and then it clicks again and goes back to the original sound. What is your advise having this information?
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
The relay Is trying to start the compressor. Thats the click that you hear. The relay is not starting the compressor. Did you tell the people at the parts store that the compressor was going. You told me that It was not going Thats why I said the relay. If It clicks and not starting replace the relay
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The compressor is running all the time and makes a humming sound that gets louder with a deeper tone when it clicks and after it runs for a few minutes it click again and runs quiter again. I can feel the compressor running. I reviewed our notes and I never told you ther compressor was not running. You asked if I had a voltgage meter to check it and I do not, but it is getting power.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Your.saying that the compressor starts and runs for a few minutes and stops , silent for a few minutes and starts again .repeats this over & over Is that what your saying
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Read the message again. I stated that it runs all the time and changes sounds when it clicks.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Is there any coldness in the freezer Or just warm
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Just warm air coming in through the outlet.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
theres a fan motor in the back by the compressor is that going, and were the coils at the back were they dirty
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The fan is running and yes the coils were very dirty from lint, but I cleaned them as well as all of the rest of the componets.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
OK well If the compressor is runing the fan In the back Is runing. The fan In the freezer Is runing. You have a bad compressor. Probably caused by over heating Because of all the dust. So to repair the fridge replace the compressor. And Its Expensive $600.00 or more. Sorry