How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom Goellner Your Own Question
Tom Goellner
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 1631
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Tom Goellner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 2000 GE Profile performance, side-by-side, built-in

Resolved Question:

I have a 2000 GE Profile performance, side-by-side, built-in "look" with water/ice dispenser on the door. We are in the midst of a second major repair due to leaks in tubing in the back. Twice now we have ruined hardwood flooring, and major ceiling repair in the finished basement space underneath. The leaks have created water going through the floor, but not being visible in the kitchen until considerable damage is done. The response is less than encouraging--that these tubes will dry out, crack, etc. So do I avoid purchasing a refrigerator with any water component or are there refrigerators available with ice-makers that are better made and unlikely to have these water problems. For an expensive, refrigerator, it is very frustrating to hear things like "this part generally lasts only about 6-7 years." Surely, someone is making a more durable product==or do I need to avoid any extra features?? Any advice would be helpful--the repairs of flooring, etc are too costly...
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 8 years ago.

Hello frustated,

I do GE repairs almost exclusively and can tell you that I don't see this problem unless fridge is a LOT older than 4 years. Where are the water lines cracking - is it right by the incoming water valve where it makes a sharp turn ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The last one was near the bottom of the refrigerator plastic tubing, too close to the heat as I understand it--but the frustrating aspect is that the GE repair guy acted like this wasn't surprising. I have not paid to have the repair guy come out yet this time, but the leak seems to be in the thick tubing connecting the water pipe in the wall to the refrig itself--I think at the the point of where it screws in to the refrig--but not absolutely positive. A further question might be if there are "trays" or something that can go under refriegerators so that leaks can be detected immediately and flooring protected.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Please also note that this is a 2000 model--so it is 8 years old, not four. one friend said her plumber replaced the plastic tubing with copper to avoid this normal drying out of plastic that reasonable? Any specifics? Other sources online seemed to be very frustrated with the GE refrigs--would you agree? I am seriously considering buying something different to avoid further problems that are ending up costing so much due to all the other repairs.
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 8 years ago.

the suggestion to use copper is a very good one - that is all I use - note that is not part of the refrigerator. The newer GE's use a grey plastic tubing that is superior to the older milky colored tubing. It is the same stuff as PEX tubing which you can get at a plumbing supply store . If the problem is only where it is too close to heat ( compressor ) use aluminum duct tape ( the kind you peel off a backing ) and wrap the tubing in that to deflect the heat.

Tom Goellner and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for that response--I am not sure if that is your final advice though, so I did not click "accept." Would you address the GE brand in general, types of refrigerator I should or should not consider to avoid costly repair, some type of "protection" under the frig to protect flooring/flooding, and who (i.e., GE repair guy, plumber?) should replace the tubing with copper (specify exactly what kind/size copper I should expect/request). Thanks...
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Please advise--I added a "bonus" I think--but am unclear whether I should still be awaiting more answer to my questions.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Help! i am reading that i have a balance of 11.90, but I have no idea if my question is still in the process of being answered and that balance is applied...
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 8 years ago.

You have accepted the answer so I don't know where this balance of 11.90 is showwing up . The copper is 1/4 OD and you could replace it . Make a loop or two so you cna pull fridge out and it will " give. Use brass compression nuts and ferrules for the connections. As for as something underneath sheet metal cut exact size as fridge so it doesn't show and hope the floor is level so that it shows up in front if water leak occurs.

They make pans that fit under washers for this but it would not be large enough and it has 4 edges that stick up and would look pretty ugly. As for what brand to go with - you have a good brand now but Whirlpool is also good. they all have their unique problems. People on this site are always saying " I will never buy another Maytag, LG, Samsung, GE, Whirlpool, etc. etc. " See where I'm going ? Once you've had a problem the grass always looks greener - - -

Tom Goellner and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you