Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

my knmore gas dryer runs for about 20 mins then stops. if i

Customer Question

my knmore gas dryer runs for about 20 mins then stops. if i wait about 40 mins it will run again then after 20 mins stops again.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. I suspect the motor may be shutting off on the thermal overload protector. That would explain the delayed restart. May I please have the model number?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it's a heavy duty 80 series
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
Okay, thank you. Unfortunately, the number I need is the complete model number. It will be located behind the door on the front panel. It will start with 110. then 7 0r 8 more numbers. Do you hear a low growl or buzz sound when you try to restart too soon after it shuts off?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok XXXXXXXXXXX
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
Sorry, can you spell it out, like one one zero six five etc. The site blocks numbers for security reasons.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
oh i'm sorry

one,
one
zero
nine
seven
five
eight
nine
two
one
zero
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
Okay, great! So does it growl or hum if you try to restart right after shutting off?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it makes a noise a little bit like a hum i guess then it just clicks. I have vacuumed out all of the lint that had collected underneath where you can remove the front panel below the door.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.

Okay, you will need to replace the motor, number 27 in the attached picture, part number 279787. The motor runs about $100 from http://www.myapplianceparts.com/.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
actually it just stopped again and i tried it to see what noise it makes and it just clicks no buzz or hum
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
Does the click seem to be from the cabinet interior or more like from the timer area?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
definitely from the cabinet area and it always stops after 20 mins ...seems to be hot...after cooling down for a while starts again
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
Okay, definitely motor...