Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My matag gas dryer does not start when I push the start button.

My matag gas dryer does not start when I push the start button. It worked perfectly two days ago. It is plugged in & the light is on. I suspect a switch needs replacement.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
do you have a volt meter and know how to use it? also can you give me model #? I will look it up after dinner, around 45 minutes or so, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I do not have a volt meter (my brother does---he is deer hunting this weekend---this is rural Minnesota) Perhaps I can get him to help at the beginning of the week. I am the family klutz about these things.

My model number is XXXXX Serial number 13820809UM

Thank you for your help--I will await your answer later.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
99% of the time its the thermal fuse,click here for link , http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=516650&PPStack=1 we replace these all the time.when your brother gets home get in touch with me and I'll help him check it. just come back on and the wessage will go right to me, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hello, again, and I am so thankful I found you!

I have my brother's volt meter; I took the back off the top, behind the control panel, and there was an electical schematic taped inside. Right now I see where the thermal fuse is located, but I am not to be trusted at translating wiring diagrams to actual wiring. I think I will order the part and let my brother handle things from there.

Briefly, can you tell me how he should test it, or is that something that he should know how to do? (He has an electric motor repair business.)

Once again, thank you. No one in this village of 5,000 repairs appliances!

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well if you found it you can unplug the machine and take the two wires off and put them together and tape them good (just to test and see if it starts) do not leave like that to do drying this is a saftey and running dryer without it can cause a fire, if the dryer starts its bad. let me know ,if its bad replace before using dryer. thanks Bryan