Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have an insinkerator badger-1 garbage disposal. When it first

I have an insinkerator badger-1 garbage disposal. When it first stopped working there was an electric hum when I turned it on, now it doesn't even do that. I s there any way I can easily fix it myself?
hi bluedeucebabe, so right now it makes no sound at all? is that right?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
correct. do you need exact model number?

no thats not necessary,on the bottom of these garburetors there is a reset switch,it is either right underneath or on the side,it is usually red,if you have a close look you will see it,if you press it and the spinning plate inside still just hums and pops that switch out then the plate is stuck,something is wedged in there that prevents it from turning,there is a tool that unsticks those with a swivel head,you can remove the plastic guide in the sink and have a look with power off for anything obvious with a flashlight,if nothing noticeable you can get this tool or have someone come in and have a look..sometimes the whole inside is rusted out and not worth repairing,but i suggest locating the reset and trying that first

hope this helps

Thanks Randy

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
reset button didn't work. I saw something on tv about using a hex wrench to "unlock the blade" and then hitting the reset button. do you know anything about this-such as what size hex wrench?

underneath you can turn the same plate with a hex wrench ,there is a hex bolt right underneath,did they give you one in your owners manual? they usually do

Randy

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
not the original owner, don't have the owners manual.

if you have that size hex wrench itll work aswell,if it is humming now its getting power,something is definately keeping it from turning,it just needs to be turned and unstuck or its too far gone

Randy

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i have a bunch of hex (aka allen) wrenches of all sizes. do I stick it thru the hole in the center? If yes, which way do I turn to unstick it-clockwise or counter?

you can turn it either way,its a free spinning plate in there and yes allen wrenches would work fine,thats basically what the tool they give you is anyways

good luck

Randy

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for your help, Randy!