John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

There is no heat in my dryer. Kenmore model no. 86983110

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
hi is ther 110 in front of the number
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

yes, at the left side of the nameplate there is 110, but that is not all part of the same model number

Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
hi could you sent it as you see it 110 86983 is that it
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There is a BIG 110 then a space and smaller numbers "89683110"
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
do you have 240 voltsat the dryer if you do check the element at the back. look for burnt wires . do you have a volt meter so you can check
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

You were right about the model number including the leading 110, so the whole thing is "110.86983110" I'll just give you the rest of the information exactly as it appears on the nameplate: 3 wire 120/240 volts 60 Hz Motor 4.0 Amps Heator and accessories 23 Amps. I guess what I'm really wondering to begin with is what is a typical repair likely to cost me, because I'm considering buying a new one. We bought this dryer in 1991. If it is inexpensive to repair it myself or have someone repair it, then I would be happy to pay the $25 to have you walk me through it some more. I do have a volt meter that an alarm technician didn't want and left behind, but I don't know if it works.

Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
check the meter to see if it works. check the voltage at the dryer, between, red & black. it should read, 240 volts. if you get 240, volts. check the element, at the back, remove theback panel, to gain access, remove one wire, from the element, and check, for continuety, if none, replace the element. if ok. check the thermostats othe heater, housing. let me know what you find, i am here to help you, the appliance doc
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I replaced the heating element in the end after trying a few things. It works again. Thanks.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
great have a great day