Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

How to disassemble the Kenmore stacked washer dryer?

How to disassemble the Kenmore stackable washer/dryer combo model #417.98802891? It started to "squeak" when drying and the squeak progressively got worse.

The dryer itself was drying clothes as usual. Now, the squeak is gone but so is the heat in the dryer. Any suggestions?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.

The squeak is likely from the rear bearing, number 12 in the attached picture. As far as the heat goes, the bearing may have worn enough to allow the drum to sag enough to short the element out. Or, you may have an open thermal fuse, number 36, which is very common on this model.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Should I replace the element as well. If so, what number is it on the diagram.

Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.

I would wait to purchase the element until you get the unit apart to determine if it is bad. If it is still intact, I would see no reason to replace it. The element is number 15 in the diagram, but a restring kit is available for about 1/5 the cost of the entire housing if you find it bad.

Thank you for using Just Answer.