Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

why does the ice in my frigidaire freezer sometimes taste and

Customer Question
smell awful? It happens...
why does the ice in my frigidaire freezer sometimes taste and smell awful? It happens sporadically and has nothing to do with foods in the freezer or refrig
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Appliance
10/30/2008
Appliance Technician: Jack Stiner, Home Appliance Technician replied 9 years ago
Jack Stiner
Jack Stiner, Home Appliance Technician

Hello Sue,

The ice can taste and smell bad for two reasons. The ice picks up food odors from the fresh food section. I know this sounds weird but the air inside the refrigerator circulates all around and it makes its way into the freezer. The ice bin should be emptied at least once or twice a month. The other thing is water filters or the lack of. If you have an internal filter or one hooked to the back on the water line then when is the last time you changed them? If you don't have one at all then you might want to consider putting one on the system. You can by them at your home improvement store at all different price levels.

I hope this helps you out. If you should need anything further please don't hesitate to ask.

Don't forget to leave feedback - bonuses are also welcome and appreciated!!!

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Jack

I've had this same problem with more than one freezer (dfferent brands). Every time it happened there didn't seem to be any odiferous food in the refrigerator or freezer. Oddly enough the strange smell was exactly same in both name brand freezers. It was sort of "garlic-like" or maybe a bit of a "fishy" odor. The freezers are located in completely different states-so not the same water supply. The water that comes from the thru-the-door dispenser seems to taste fine.

Hello Sue,

Do you have water filters on either one of the refrigerators? It may be a water mineral taste that you experience. Filters will usually take most of this out. Are the cubes that you get from either or both models cloudy in the middle? this indicates lots of minerals in the water.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Jack

Both have water filters. One is located in a midwestern city with great tasting water. The other is in a coastal city where the water at times tastes and smells like chlorine. I guess you could say that the cubes from both are somewhat cloudy in the middle.

Hi Sue,

These are the response from Whirlpool for bad taste in the cubes and water. I t sort of goes in hand with what I said. I am sure the response will be the same from most manufacturers. I am not sure what else I can add.

Why does my ice or dispensed water have an odd taste or odor?

Answer

Check for properly wrapped food. Ice absorbs odors, so use airtight, moisture-proof packaging to help avoid odor transfer from stored food. If the ice cubes have an odd taste or odor, throw them away. Allow 24 hours for the ice maker to produce more ice.

See also: Cleaning your refrigerator.

To prevent ice cubes from picking up frozen food odors within the freezer use Ice Aid which contains high absorbency naturally activated charcoal. Each Ice Aid package can last up to eight months.

To order Ice Aid and receive a 10% discount on today's order, enter Promo Code F9A75Q4 in the Order Review and Payment screen when you checkout. Order Icemaker Cleaner Here.

If you have a model without a water filter, a taste or odor problem could come from the water supply. Poor water quality, such as high amounts of iron in the water supply, can cause taste or odor problems.

• Gray or dark discoloration in the ice or an odd taste in the ice or water initially after water hookup indicates that the water filtration system needs additional flushing. Run additional water through the water dispenser to flush the water filtration system more thoroughly (at least 1.5 gallons or 3 to 4 minutes initially). Discard discolored ice.
  • Poor water quality, high amounts of iron in the water supply and high use can cause your filter to need replacement more frequently.
  • It may be time to change the water filter. Most models require a filter replacement at least every 6 months. The ® brand filter (see picture below) may need replacement more frequently based on water and ice use.

New plumbing connections

• New plumbing connections, such as PVC pipes and fittings, can cause discolored or off-flavored ice. Discard the first few batches of ice and flush additional water through the water dispenser.
    • Copper tubing is recommended for connecting your refrigerator to a water supply. Copper has been identified as the most reliable method of limiting poor taste or odor in your ice and water. In areas unable to use copper tubing, stainless steel connections are recommended.
  •  

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Jack

Jack Stiner
    Jack Stiner
    Jack Stiner, Home Appliance Technician