Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE model gds20sbsass serial #al041319 bottom freezer

I have a GE model gds20sbsass serial #al041319 bottom freezer refrigerator. The exterior lower front left at the freezer level and the upper edge of freezer drawer suddenly is very hot. to the touch. The temperature settings are set to 6. If I unplug the unit, wait 30 seconds and plug in, it cools down. Then within 1 hours the heat on the exterior returns. I'm comcerned of a malfunction and also of the possiblity of fire or a compoment burning out. Pleas advise. Thanks, Scott
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
you more than likely have a problem with condenser fan in the rear of ref. this is the fan that cools compressor. pull the ref. away from wall and remove back cardboard cover and see if fan has stopped. if it has you have one of two problems. either bad board (most likely) or bad fan (less likely) also clean the coils real good if there full of dust. I'll check model for you . thanks Bryan