Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My GWL11 is throwing water out during the spin cycle. The

My GWL11 is "throwing" water...
My GWL11 is "throwing" water out during the spin cycle. The amount of water seems to be determines by the size/weight of the load being washed. The water doesn't seem to run down the outside of the machine--it gathers at the front bottom--and there's a lot of water along the rim when I lift the lid. Also, my husband washed a few small area rugs and the machine kept going out of balance and dug a groove out on the top of the tub. Since I noticed the groove and water at the same time, I'm supposing that they're related, but I don't know what to do about it. I love my washer, but if it's going to cost me a lot to fix it, I may as well get a new machine. I purchased this one in July 2005, so it's now 3 years old.
10/19/2008
John, Home Appliance Technician
hi thanks for the question. check to see if when the water drains out its coming out with good flow. it could have debris in the pump ,from the rugs that your husband washed. check that. rugs should not be washed in a domestic washer. please accept with a positive feed back please. i am here to help you thanks also check the deverter valve it could have some debris thanks

I checked the water flow as it drains, and it is good. I loosened the lid and raised the top up so I could watch and see what is happening while it's performing a cycle. Nothing happens until the spin cycle when water coming out of top-right side of the tub and splashes all over the place. I watched as water splashed toward the inside front of the machine and ran down to the floor--exactly where the water comes out when I noticed the leak. Any suggestions?

hi check the seal that goes around the wash tank a clip could have loosened check the clips it only leaks on the spin .
also the bleach dispenser hose sometimes it comes off and leak thanks
The clips are all in place and tight. Where is the water that's being spun out supposed to go? Right now, some of it hits the rim of the tub and goes back into the tub while the rest gets splashed as I was describing before. The faster it spins, the more water it splashes. Where is the bleach dispenser hose?
what is the make of this washer
It is the GWL11
that is not a make and that model does not show up

Oops. I'm sorry. My paperwork says it is a Fisher Paykel GWL11

If I'm seeing this properly, #1 indicates where the water is coming out and going into the tub and splashing toward the front inside of the machine. Is that what you wanted to know by sending the schematic?
well there has to be a reason that this is happening. and i still think that the pump is not fast enough to pump the water out before it starts to spin

So how can I check this if the water is coming out okay?

start a new load. and let it pump out .,.is the drain hose in your sink or in a drain pipe if its in your sink ,you should be able to see the water flow .if its slow you have some obstruction, in the pump or in the hoses
okay, I'll try it again.
ok is it in you sink
no, but I'll see if it will reach. If not, I'll let it drain into a large garbage can.
ok let me know
ok, so it seems to me that it's draining well, but water is coming out of the place I told you about by the drum at the same time. Should that be happening?
is the water coming out with force or not because if all the water is not out of the washer the centrefical force of the spin action will raise the waret to the top and overflow. so its important that the water drains out quickly
The water is draining out quickly.
hi did you look to see if theres not a hole worn down on the plastic tub
In my first post, I mentioned that a groove had been worn into the top of the tub. I filled it and smoothed it out with Plumber's Goop. While it is not as smooth as it was originally, it doesn't have any large dips in it, and there are no holes.
sorry. i did go back. yes you did say a groove. sorry .if thats the case then you need a new tub or try body fill. once the top is down ,fill with body fill ,it works real well .cheaper to try that ,then a new tub thanks the appliance doc.
I'm not familiar with "body fill". Can you explain a little bit about what it is and where I might find it?
hi they sell it at auto parts. its to do body work on cars. you mix it up with hardner, and then just smooth it on the worn part. clean the plumbers goop off first. must be clean thanks good luck. please accept
John, Home Appliance Technician
Okay. Thanks. I appreciate your help.
thanks wow a good one
how did you make out
John, Home Appliance Technician