Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We are looking at 36 inch Kenmore electric (radiant element)

We are looking at 36 inch Kenmore electric (radiant element) cooktops. Our concern: installation requirements. Specifically, what is the required distance (in inches) from the side of the cooktop and the side cabinet walls. I.e.: How many inches are required from each edge of the cooktop to the cabinet walls on each side of the cooktop. Thank you!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
can you get me the model # XXXXX looking at buying? these are all diffirent because the elements sit in different positions on top. some are closer to the edge of cooktop than others, also wherever your going to puchase this shoud have the info on installation. usually there is clearance info with it. it also depends one which elements are at the back of unit large or small elements. let me know model. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I haven't accepted yet because the answer didn't tell me anything I didn't know. I have been looking at specifications and installation guides online and I can read the dimensions for each one. I was having issues finding a Kenmore installation guide online. For the most part - from what I've found: a 36 inch Electrolux has the same openings for all models; likewise - a 36 inch GE Profile has the same openings. etc. . . My problem is we have a cabinet that we thought was 36 inches wide. In fact, the inner cabinet - where the cooktop would go - is 34 1/2 inches wide. We are trying to figure out if we can have a cooktop that is very close to the cut-out wood and cabinet BELOW the cooktop. I can't find that out by the installation guides. The installations sate: "2 inch minimum clearance to side walll from cut-out." I don't know if that means two inches from the cooktop to a vertical side wall above the cooktop, or 2 inches from the cooktop to a vertical cabinet wall under the cooktop as well.

My main question: does it matter how close the cooktop is to the sides of the cabinet walls underneath the cooktop? If the cooktop barely fits - is butting up to the side cabinets - next to and below the cooktop - is that okay? Or, does the 2 inch requirement also apply to the cabinet on which the cooktop sits and the cabinet walls under it?? I hope this makes sense??

Thanks so much.

Stacy

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well its sounds a little close to me .the thing you have to worry about the most is heat comming from under pans a radiating out and heating cabinets to the point of combustion if its to close to wall this can happen, also check locale building codes on this they can tell you minimum clearance.as far as the cabinet it sits in(under unit) I don't believe that will be a problem there really isn't any heat comming through the sides of unit, just up off the elements these elements are insulated around them ,I hope I've helped you let me know Bryan.