Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Frigidaire Affinity front load washer stops on spin cycle.

Customer Question
My Frigidaire Affinity front load...

My Frigidaire Affinity front load washer stops at the spin cycle. It does fine and then 3 beeps- no error code- and the machine shuts off. the beeps are similar to when the washer completes the cycle normally- 3 beeps, 3 time and the door unlocks. what could cause this? The load size is medium. Not even close to being a full load. 2 pairs of jeans, 1 sweatshirt, 4 cotton blouses.

Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/4/2008
Appliance Technician: Accurate Appliance Service, Home Appliance Technician replied 9 years ago
Accurate Appliance Service
Accurate Appliance Service, Home Appliance Technician
Is there any water in the machine? Can you get the machine to drain it out? Which model is it?

There appears to be water only because the clothes are soaking wet. When i try to use the spin only setting, it sounds like it is draining but the clothes, as i said, are soaking wet. I will pull out the paperwork and let you know the exact model number- the machine is less than 2 years old. I am heading back to the house shortly and will give you that information.

Once before we had a similar problem but an error code E30 flashed and we opened up the machine and emptied out the small white basket and that fixed the problem. We have not done that yet since no error code flashed and I didn't want to open up the machine without finding out where to look first.

The model is ATF6000ESI if that helps.

Don't forget, if there isn't a big enough load to balance, it can't spin out. I can't tell you how many calls I get from users who have one bath rug, one sweater etc. The machine cannot balance it so it can't spin out. Does the drum tumble at all, even in a wash cycle?

Yes, it tumbles fine. It goes through all the cycles right up until the final spin cycle and beeps and shuts off, no error codes. And its definitely not under loaded or overloaded. Out of sheer frustration last night, I unplugged the washer, waited a few minutes, and plugged it back in. It did the complete cycle, all the way to the end. I thought, well, great! Maybe it just needed to re-set the computer or something. The second load- once again, no spin cycle. So once again, I unplugged it and waited, ran it again and it worked. I shouldn't have to do this every time I wash a load though. What do you think this could mean?

And I should add that the only cycle it will run through completely on after I unplug it and plug it back in is the heavy duty cycle, which is the one with the extended spin cycle. This is really crazy!

I suppose I spoke too soon because now even that does not insure it will complete the cycle. I tried it again this morning and once again, it stops and shuts off at the spin cycle, leaving the clothes soaking wet.

I'd check the hose from the tub to the pump, I'll bet you have something stuck in there.
Accurate Appliance Service

Ok, finally got the husband to open up the washer. He checked the hose and it was clear but the basket trap had lots of change in it so we emptied it and the washer appeared to run fine for a load. But on load 2, it still stops at the final spin. Any other suggestions? By the way, still no error code is appearing on the display panel.

I did some more online research and tried pressing the cancel and start buttons and holding them down until the washer beeped and an error code appeared. It was e47 and after looking that up and reading other people's posts on other fix-it type sites, I learned that if its not the pump or a blockage, it means the door sensor needs to be replaced. Even though the door is locking during usage, for some reason the computer doesn't receive that signal and it won't go into final spin. So I called a repairman, he tested it and replaced it and the washer once again works. Maybe this will help other people who have this problem. From what i saw on all the postings, this Affinity- all models-have this problem. It must be something in the manufacturing. Way too many people complained of the same thing I was having problems with for it to be a coincidence.

Thanks for trying though.

featured content

Frigidaire Affinity washer troubleshooting

Frigidaire Affinity front-loading washing machines are high-efficiency washers. They feature five wash cycles, including delicate and casual. Frigidaire boasts that the allergen cycle removes close to 100% of the allergens from the clothes. However, even with the most efficient washers, problems can arise.

Identifying noises

If the washing machine makes a clanking or rattling sound

• Shut off the washer
  • Open the door and check for foreign objects, such as loose change
  • Make sure clothes with metal snaps or buttons are not causing
  • Restart the washer
  • If the noise continues, the pump may have something caught in it

The Frigidaire Affinity is making a thumping sound

• Stop the cycle
  • Move the clothes around
  • Check for foreign object

If there are too many clothes in the load, it is common for the washer to make a thumping sound. Over-sized loads can make the machine off-balanced. Washing shoes also causes loud thumping noises that can throw the machine off balance. Consider using a mesh shoe bag that attaches inside the drum, while washing shoes.

The washing machine vibrates

• Place a level on top of the washer
  • Adjust the washer feet until the washer is level
  • Unplug the power cord, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in
  • If the machine still does not start, shut off the water supply
  • Check the fuses or breakers in the main breaker box
  • If a breaker has flipped, switch it back on
  • Replace any cloudy or blow fuses  
  • Turn back on the water and start the washer

Frigidaire Affinity washer is not turning ON

If the washer still does not turn on, the motor may have overheated. Wait for a half hour and try again.

Spin cycle leaves clothes wet

The Affinity washer uses a sensor to determine the size of the load. If the load is too small, the spin cycle will not work properly. Large loads can throw the washer off balance, which can also leave clothes wet. Add more clothes to the smaller loads and remove clothing from over-sized loads.

Another possible cause for wet clothes after a spin cycle is a kinked drain hose. Turn off the incoming water, remove the drain hose, and straighten it. Then, reconnect the hose and start the washer.

Washer drum does not fill with water

Make sure the water inlet valves are completely turned on, and there are no kinks in the incoming water hoses. Next, go to a nearby sink or bathtub and turn the faucets completely on. While the water is on, start the washer. If the water pressure diminishes, the water supply to the entire house is probably low. If this is the case, the water must not be used in other areas of the home while the washer is running.

Troubleshooting a Frigidaire Affinity washer yourself saves you time and money. However, even the most tech-savvy troubleshooter could use a little assistance. If you have further questions about troubleshooting a Frigidaire Affinity washer, turn to an Expert for answers.

Accurate Appliance Service
Accurate Appliance Service